• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt sizes to replace Torx

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if any one would know the sizes of the Torx bolts that hold the bumpers, fenders, and doors on. I had to grind off most of the Torx on my XJ and, since I've had so much trouble with them, I'm planning to replace them with Hex. The only problem is, since I can't find any of my few surviving torx bolts to take to get a simular sized Hex. If any one would know the dimesions of these bolts, I could sure use them. The Fenders use T-25 bolts, the Bumpers use T-40, T-50 or T-55. I think the doors are T-35 or T-40, I'm not sure.

Last edited:
On the hardware aisle at Lowe's or Home Depot, they have a couple of guages where you screw in your bolt to find out what it is. I believe they also provide cross reference, i.e. #35 = 20 1/4 x #.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but I'd probably have to drive a good ways to find a hardware store that sophisticated. Around here everything's pretty simple. I found my fender and door bolts though, some of them did survive. So I'll just take those to a good supply store I know. The only thing that I need to get now is a bumper bolt, those got ground into nothing after I took my bumpers off (I had to cut them into four). Thanks for your help.

the_bandit87 said:
Thanks, but I'd probably have to drive a good ways to find a hardware store that sophisticated. Around here everything's pretty simple. I found my fender and door bolts though, some of them did survive. So I'll just take those to a good supply store I know. The only thing that I need to get now is a bumper bolt, those got ground into nothing after I took my bumpers off (I had to cut them into four). Thanks for your help.
The bolts that hold the brackets to the "frame" on the front of an XJ are M10x1.5. This I know from having to replace mine when they broke off.

Back