• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solid floor on roof rack?

Jump This

Just another minion!
I just finished building my roof rack. I'll post some pics tonight when the boy returns with my camera. One item I added that I'm not convinced (at least as of now) will work well is a solid floor.
I don't store my spare on the rack.
Only when I am loaded will the rack see the spare and coolers etc.
The reason for a solid floor ( I used 3/8" plywood) is that the rack's primary function is as observation deck and photo platform.
I had concerns about most of the exspanded sheet metal I found, weight, ability to reposition camera tri-pod easily and just plain old comfort on my back side when sitting without a chair.
Has anyone here ever ran a solid floor on their rack?
Any problems with it?
I have noticed some extra wind noise, although not much...maybe its just the ticket.....
Rick

Do you have the floor attached nice and solidly? If you do, I think the only issue will be the wind noise. If it's not attached well, every time you hit a bump, it will bounce and just add more noise.

I have a Confer 4.5' X 6' rack. 6 supports, 3 to a side. I had a 3/4" ply floor on it for a while. I didn't like it because of the weight. I'm always afraid I'm going to roll. I added a couple of 3/4" square tube cross supports and went to 3/8" ply. This floor is a little softer but two people can still walk around and nothing breaks. Haven't noticed any wind noise really. I'd rather have a floor up there since I like to sleep on top when we desert camp.

I had an aluminum diamond plate floor on my roof rack, when I had one. I liked it because it made the rack much easier to use. It did increase wind noise some.

I'd water proof the hell out of that plywood, myself.

I sealed the plywood on all sides. Used PL 2000 and screws. Its mounted as solid as can be.
I just was sitting on top of it taking in the neighborhood.... I think I like it!!
Rick :party:

i would run 6 or so small square tube supports, then expanded metal (steel or aluminum for lightweight bling) then a sheet of 1/8" lexan or other plastic on top of that.

plywood is a good simple, cheap, easily replacable alternative too, but I would prefer to go with more cross supports and thinner plywood than fewer supports and thicker wood.

Here's what I have now:
0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Back