• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Inner-Tube

evilpresence

NAXJA Member #983
Did a few searchs and couldn't find what I'm looking for so here you go.

I have two pinholes in the sidewall of one of my 31x10.5 TrXuS tires. I want to put a tube in the tire but it I can't seem to find what measurement I need for the tube.

A few places online sell tubes for like $15. Is that reasonable? Any brands I should stay away or be attracted to?

putting a tube in a radial tire (assuming you have a radial) will generate too much heat and will eventually pop the tube. Also at low tire pressures, the tube can spin in the tire and tear the valve stem. You'll have much better luck if you just put plugs in the holes.

Dan

For a radial tire you need a special radial tube, which no one will likely carry but they can order one. I agree with Dan, there are problems running a tube, and all come from running low trail presure. The tire can spin slightly on the rim, pushing the valve stem to an angle and possibly cutting it. Debris can get in the tire when at low pressure and cause a hole in the tube. The tube can wrinkle inside of a flexing tire at low pressure and damage the tube.

I tried running a tube one time. I got a large (radial tire) boot and patched the cut tire, then got a radial tube. It didn't work well, spun the tire and repeatedly got small holes in the tube. I finally pulled the tube out and ran on the booted tire with no problems. I'd patch or plug the small holes and run it. I've run tires for a long time with small cuts or holes that were plugged.

evilpresence said:
Even on the sidewall? The two pinholes are about a 1/8" apart.

All I ever plug are sidewalls. Small holes an 1/8" apart are likely from the sidewall getting pinched by the edge of the rim. One plug each should fix them, and you can run them indefinitely like that. I'm talking from experience here, both mine and plenty of others......but I'm not giving legal advice or talking about tire company recommendations. :)

Back