• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u-joint upgrading, but only a little

tighttrailxj

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and did get very good info, I just want to reinforce before I go junkyard searching. I have a 90 XJ with a non disco D30 (stock 260 joints). I want to find a set of axle shafts with 297 joints and use them, retaining my stock hub. I will keep my current shafts and joints together for a trail spare. Sound Good? I think I am looking for a 96(and up) XJ w/o ABS to scavenge from. Does the ABS part matter? I found the size of the different joints by measurement. But are the axles the same? Will the axles work with my original hubs? Will it work?

Yes, it matters. Most people say that ANY XJ with ABS has the 297x joints. The newer ones have them too. I don't remember the measurements, but measure the diameter of the u-joint caps on your 260x's. The 297's have a larger diameter u-joint cap.

Jared:patriot:

tighttrailxj said:
My 1990 doesn't have ABS. Are there any differences with the ABS shafts as opposed to non-abs ones? Will I be able to use shafts from an ABS vehicle?

I don't know when all D30's started coming with 297x axle joints, but the TJ's came out in '97 and all had 297x joints. ABS equipped XJ's came with 297x joints after a certain year, but I don't know what year, sometime in the early '90s. ZJ's never had a disconnect, and always came with ABS brakes, but I don't know for sure if all ZJ axles had 297x axle joints....but that's a good place to look. My first upgrade to 297x shafts came from a ZJ. TJ's also never came with a disconnect, and all came with 297x shafts, so that's definitely a place to look. All the shafts are interchangeable, so you can use XJ, ZJ, or TJ shafts. The ABS shafts have a tone ring around the stub axle yoke, but you can easily pound off the ring with a hammer. BTW, YJ's with ABS also have the 297x shafts, but all YJ's have a disconnect.

There is a difference between ABS and Non ABS shafts. The ABS shafts come with a “tone ring” and can’t be used in Non ABS axles. I believe that the “tone ring” rubs and causes problems. I would assume that you could use Non ABS shafts in an ABS axle if you didn’t mind giving up the ABS function. Warn makes a hub conversion and alloy axle kit that use Non ABS style axle and I’ve heard of people using them in formerly ABS equipped XJs. As far as u joints, ABS shafts came with both sizes. The older ones (’91 or so?) use the small joint and newer ones (’96 and up?) use the bigger one. I’m not sure exactly what the change over year was.

5725.jpg

This is an ABS shaft taken off of an 89. The caps measure about 1 3/16" across (nevermind the cheapo calipers- the digital ones stay at the shop :) ) I plan on using these on my non-ABS D30. If the tone rings interefere, I'll pound them off. The axle shafts on a non ABS axle look like they were machined to accept the tone ring anyway.

i'm loooking at upgrading too.... but how weak are the 260s really?? i know keeping them for now will be asking for trouble but has anyone wheeled with 33s and NOT broken them???

miike

I have wheeled with 33" mud terrains and the original 260 u-joints for 5 months now through mud and snow. I have replaced three joints already, none have damaged the ears on the shafts yet(luckily). This is both a trail rig for me and a DD for my girlfriend. With the scratching and clawing through the mud and snow, I would have thought the D35 would have popped already. Thanks mike, for the D44.

sidriptide said:
i'm loooking at upgrading too.... but how weak are the 260s really?? i know keeping them for now will be asking for trouble but has anyone wheeled with 33s and NOT broken them???

miike

I've beaten the crapola out of my 260x's. I run 33x13.50x15" Interco Super Swamper LTB's with 4.10 gears and a rear locker all behind a 4.0 HO and 5 speed. I am just careful not to strain them too much when the front wheels are turned sharply. So far, they're bulletproof. I'd still like to upgrade them just for peace of mind.

Jared:patriot:

Rocks, especially Moab is tough on 260's. I broke two within 10 minutes of each other on an easy trail. Then again, I was running a 4.7L stroker and an AX-15. If you put in the axles that use the 297's, while you have the out, whay don't you upgrade to 5-760 joints. They swap right in and are supposedly 20-30% stronger.

to clarify what WileyCoyote said, the Tone rings MAY interfere in your 90 axle, but they won't neccesarily rub on all non abs housings. My 88 ha a front axle housing from a 93 (non abs), and has shafts from a 96 abs ZJ. I couldn't get the tone rings off, so I left them on. The difference is that after 90, I believe, they changed the outer steering knuckles to a better design. This is the same or very similar to the knuckle used on the ZJ and TJ. I haven't bothered to take any measurements, but I believe that the hole in the newer knuckles is a bit larger (probably made to accomodate the tone rings).
From my experience, if the brake caliper bolts have a 13mm head, then you have the newer style. If the bolt heads ate 10 mm or allen head, they are older. (My 88 axle had 10mm hex on one side, and allen head on the other- the factory must have just used whatever they had laying around that day!)

hope this helps

I am not sure about the 20-30% strength increase between the 297x and 760x joints. but the 760x is forged, I forgot wether it was drop or cold or what. also it does not have the grease fitting. which means that there is more material for a little bit of extra strength.

just don't get caught paying to much for used shafts with used joints.
50-60$ shaft is a worth while deal, $100 shaft is a rip off considering the cost of a new shaft.

i have 260's and 35's. i haven't broken a u-joint yet, but i have broken a transfercase output shaft and a rear driveshaft. that being said, i have a set of 297 shafts waiting to go in when i install my lockright. i'm tired of limping home from the trail.

matthew

I believe 95 and up non ABS came with 297 shafts.. The only jeep i know of with a disconnect fron axle that came with 297s is a 95 YJ HTH..

Back