• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shifting wrong after motor mount change?

Ron91XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I changed my motor mounts then started experiencing odd shifting. 1st is normal, kinda falls on it's face in second (but has always been like that), when it shifts into 3rd, the rpm's don't drop like normal, they remain constant as you press the pedal, but then suddenly jump up (torque converter?), then 4th is normal.
Logic would suggest that I stretched a cable and changed something by jacking the engine around. I replaced the TPS. While trying to adjust the tranny throttle cable: When I press the button and push the cable conduit in, it just springs all the way out. Shouldn't it stay in until I go to WOT and ratchet out to the right position? It just springs all the way out and stays there. Is it toasted?
Thanks and any thoughts are appreciated.
Ron

Push the cable sleeve extension, all the way in/hold and then release the thumb tab, If it doesn´t hold, squirt some oil in the works, check the teeth on the telescoping part of the sleeve going into the adjuster. Then bottom the throttle. The thumb tab should spring back out, all I´ve messed with, had a lot of spring pressure behind the thumb tab.

When I do this the cable sleeve extention only ratchets twice, and the throttle is only open half way when the throttle cable will not let the throttle open further. I have to push the button to get it to come out more, then at WOT it sticks out about an inch.
If it's not working properly and adjusting by this method, can I still adjust it somehow?

Try pushing it all the way in, letting it lock, then flooring the accelerator pedal, this is actually the prefered methode (at least for Chev.), Pushing the accelaerator pedal can require quite some effort, but do it with feeling, don´t want to snap the cable.
If that don´t work I´ll talk you through another methode.

Back