• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what size star bolts are...

3XJsinPA

NAXJA Forum User
what size star blots are the 2 top tranny to engine bolts
i will need to buy one and dont want to make multiple trips i always used a 12 point socket on the stars on my ford but i dont want to mess anyhting up on my jeep

E5 sounds right, and they can be replaced with 3/8"-16 by 1" or thereabouts - I used studs with an OAL of 1-5/8" to ditch mine, but I suggest getting rid of the E-bolts either way. I like the stud approach, as it gives extra alignment points for remounting, and allows a little extra holding once it is aligned. No problems here - there's not a lot of stress, so standard "allthread" rod will work nicely for studs.

5-90

E-12 is the correct size. I just finished installing an engine a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, even with the E-12 socket, universal adapter, and 3 feet of extensions, there were a few choice words muttered. I ended up removing the engine mounts and lowering the engine on both disassembly and reassembly to provide adequate room to get to the bolts. I will give BrokenXJ's method a shot next time. Sounds like it might be a lot easier and provide a better means to apply torque upon bolt intallation.

I just dropped the tranny crossmember to tilt down the tranny and attacked it with two feet of extensions and the universal on the end with the socket. Worked pretty well.

ACE said:
I just dropped the tranny crossmember to tilt down the tranny and attacked it with two feet of extensions and the universal on the end with the socket. Worked pretty well.

This is the way to go. Since I have recently swapped 2 tranny's of my own and an engine on a customers car within the last 2 weeks, I do have some practice at it. I used a 3ft extension, but a 2ft will work ok too.

Bryan

I just bought a torx socket set from Sears..Lisle brand....7 sockets for $19.99

and it has E6, E7, E8, E10, E12, E14, E16

and I have to drop my trans to get the slave replaced.....

so should I got the 2' of extensions route or the through the shifter boot route?

Back