• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fire damage?

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I kinda burned up my MJ a week and a half ago. Can I strip off my lift and re-use it, or because of the heat, am I better off to just start fresh?
I had an RE 5.5" kit on the front and I was hoping to put it onto my next Jeep, along with the 4.88'd D30. The 30 was right underneath the fire, though, and the lift parts were right around it. Also, I had a C-rok brace that had been on for about 6 days when it burned. And of course, the MT/Rs - once I chip off the TJ flare that melted onto the front PS tire.

So am I safe in re-using parts that were in a big fire?

Look at the bushings on those parts. IMO, if they're melted then I might worry. If not, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. The D30 that I have right now came off a vehicle fire xj, but it didn't even melt the bushings on top.

From what I've heard, I'd say it was leaking fuel injectors. Preventable? Most likely. A lesson I won't forget? For sure.

Anyhow, can I save the parts?

did it burnt the paint off all the parts? If not, then I wouldn't give it a second thought. One way to look at it is, heat rises, so unless these parts were above the fire, then they should not be affected too much.
I would inspect the tires for any bulges and such, but if they look ok, then they should be alright.

Post some pictures of this stuff, and we would be able to give a better opinion.
HTH

I get to buy it back for $154.66 so even if I only get back two tires and the 44, it's worth it. I won't know how anything looks until I get down there to pick it up though.

Back