• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gringing noise and leaking axle seals

Israel

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped a D44 under my 96. I was planning on putting a Lock Right in it and found out only after I had taken the carrier out and pulled the spider gears that I had a Trac-Lok diff and the Lock Right wouldn't fit. So I put the Trac-Lok back together and threw the carrier back in as best I could. My only worry was that while I had marked which carrier bearing cap went where, I hadn't thought to mark them as to which end of the cap went where.

Next, the brake shoes were bad so I replaced them and the rubber line that goes from the body to the axle. The adjuster screw for the drivers side was seized up on one end so you could spin it in your hand, but once it was in it wouldn't spin at all. So I got that as close as I could to where it should be.

Now, here are the problems. Both axle seals are leaking. They weren't before, so is there a specific way I should have reinstalled the shafts to get the axle seals to seal? And... When I'm driving down the road it sounds like the brakes are grinding, but it doesn't go away or get worse when I brake. I tried loosening and tightening the adjusters with no noticable change in the grinding noise. And the parking brake isn't the cause since it isn't tight enough.

My suspicions are: brakes still not adjusted right, axle seals not seated right, or axle seals were damaged when reinstalling the diff, I might have the carrier bearing caps on the wrong way, or I didn't put the Trac-Lok back together right.

Help, please. :(

Does it do it when you back up? The grinding noise that is. Only because if the bearings are bad, didn't say you replaced with new ones they could be on the way out. I would say adjust the brakes, replace the seals, and double check the bearings. As for the Trac Loc, couldn't tell ya. Mine went south when the carrier bearings when. So I never got a good look at it out. Juice

I don't notice it as much when I back up. It is loudest when I'm going forward around 20mph. I replaced the brake shoes, but not the bearings. Also, I just pulled the shafts again and the bearings look good, but when I put the shafts back in they seem to stick out about 1/8th of an inch so that the bearing retainer doesn't sit flat until I tighten the nuts. But maybe thats normal to provide preload to the axle shaft bearings. I dunno.

Hey Israel, did you by chance put the friction modifier in for the Trac Lok when you refilled the differential? My Trac Lok made a grinding noise when I forgot the friction modifier. Just a stab in the dark.

Well, if by friction modifier you mean diff fluid approved for limited slip diffrentials, then yes, I did. Maybe I should try another fluid then?

The proper lubricant for a Chrysler "Trac-Loc" diff is regular gear oil, PLUS the special ADDITIIVE for the Trac-Loc.

The ADDITIVE is ONLY available from a Chryco dealer.

Did you use the additive?

Nope. I bought some brand from my local CSK that mentioned limited slip diff use. I'll have to pick up some of that modifier and see if that helps.

Thanks!

Well, I put some friction modifier in and its not any better. But on the plus side, my seals haven't seemed to leak lately.

Are the shoes supposed to go on a certain side? It seemed one had thicker friction material on it, but I just threw them in there. Maybe the thicker one is supposed to be the one the e-brake attaches to.

Any more ideas?

Back