• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can i do this?

lndrvrxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a axle seal leak on my D30, but need to drive the heep home(230miles). Can i remove the axle shafts and the front drive shaft and drive on it. This is so the ring and pionion does not turn. Any other ways

No you can't. If you remove the driveshaft the ring and pinion will still turn, and if you remove the axleshafts, while good luck going anywhere as there will be nothing to bolt your wheels too. So fix the seal or make frequent stops to refil the diff.

Have heard horror stories about the hubs seperating and falling off, if the yoke and axle hub nut isn´t bolted in there.

8Mud said:
Have heard horror stories about the hubs seperating and falling off, if the yoke and axle hub nut isn´t bolted in there.

yep, had that happen to a friend of mine. broke his front axle and pulled it to get home. Hub/front wheel seperated from the YJ and sent him careening in a ditch at 45! He came out ok with no inguries but I think that was bc of his cage!

Is it really leaking so badly that you're going to loose a lot of gear oil in 200 miles? You could always add more every 50 miles.

Back