• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" or 3" lift on a 96' XJ

CJS

NAXJA Forum User
It is a 96' XJ, new 'improved' TC output, 4.0, D30/D35 etc. etc. Basically I have a friend who wants to go with either a BB or 3" lift on his DD. I have never lifted a post 95' (nor did I ever plan on) and am worried about potential vibes. This XJ is 99.9% driver and he is lifting it basically for looks. What I am wanting is experiences from those who have went 2" and 3" on a 96' or up XJ. What vibes if any did you have, what cured it. He doesn't want to put the money up for an SYE so all I have to work with is a TC drop and shims. This XJ needs to very road friendly.

TIA
CJS

I apparently got lucky with my 96, as I had no problems with the 2" BB and vibes. When I moved to a 4.5" the vibes were harsh until I SYE'd it. Your mileage may vary..

I have RE 4.5" + 1" spring spacers on my '96. No SYE, and no vibes whatsoever. I run 32" MT/R's and drive hundreds of miles on fishing trips with it and it is very asphalt friendly. I guess I'm lucky. Also, your friend probably has the Chrysler 8.25" rear axle. I did have to change the gears from first to 4.10's and then again to 4.56's. The 3.55's and 4.10's were too tall for the 32's and my gas mileage went from 19 to 12 mpg. It's now back around 17 with the 4.56's. LOL.

I have a '96 with 4.0L/AW4/231/8.25 with a 3" BDS lift. I had bad vibes driving to the tire/alignment shop. I ended up putting in a TC drop since I wanted to go the cheap route back then and it would see more lift in the future and a SYE. I would say lift it and see what happens, but plan on a tc drop.

I had 2 & 3/4" on my 96. Spacers in front & an 2" AAL & 3/4" shackle in the rear. No vibes at all. JIM.

Anyone else?

jeepguy97 said:
97 and newer have most vibe problems, 96 and lower usually don't.

Actually they changed the output in 96'. I already know this and his has the new style as I already stated. Perhaps you should read the entire thread before posting or post something of value like your personal experience.

Not trying to be an extreme ass, just an ass. :rattle:

I lifted my 2dr 96 XJ with the Old Man Emu 2-2.5" whatever you call it and I didn't have any vibrations. I did get the alignment done but that's all I did have to do for the job. Before you lift I would suggest using LOTS and LOTS of that super penetrating rust stuff on all the bolts and nuts you're taking off. Soak them for the couple of week prior to when you to the install.

-Jamie

btl_fed_xj said:
I lifted my 2dr 96 XJ with the Old Man Emu 2-2.5" whatever you call it and I didn't have any vibrations. I did get the alignment done but that's all I did have to do for the job. Before you lift I would suggest using LOTS and LOTS of that super penetrating rust stuff on all the bolts and nuts you're taking off. Soak them for the couple of week prior to when you to the install.

-Jamie

Yeah, I've had him doing that for the past few weeks already. (PB blaster)

Back