• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wrecked xj

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
well as of a month ago i completley messed up my xj. I got in an accident and massivley dented the rear passenger door. I thought about putting a big eyebolt in and trying to pull it out with a comealong. Has any body done this and did it work? Or is there a better method to use. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot, scott

scottsxj said:
well as of a month ago i completley messed up my xj. I got in an accident and massivley dented the rear passenger door. I thought about putting a big eyebolt in and trying to pull it out with a comealong. Has any body done this and did it work? Or is there a better method to use. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot, scott

Well, the only straight panel on my Junk is the front fiberglass hood piece. When my doors get severely mucked up on JV rocks I just kick them out & they look like new again. Try that.

-jb

DO you mean a dent in the "skin" or in the actual structure of the door?

If it's just in the "skin" & the toilet plunger method won't cut it.....

I have had success with footballs, soccerballs, etc....

Pull the inner panel, deflate the ball & insert it ... then fill it up with air till it pushes the dent out from the inside. Ball will put a lot more force on there than you usually can especially if the dent is in a hard to reach place.

pics?

I't hard to suggest anything without seeing it. But I'd fear the eyebolt would rip through depending on where you plan on putting it. No chance of beating things reasonably close then welding on some plate to reinforce the weakened areas?

Did I mention that sucks?

Go wheel it & quit crying about body damage, you'll have more fun that way.

-jb

I put a pretty good dent in my drivers door (high speed tree), used a piece of wood, the biggest I could get inside the door panel (after removing the window motor and one rail) and used an eye bolt through the wood. Jacked it out (with a high jack and some chain), had some rippling, used a couple of pieces of flat stocK 3/16 x 2" as a backing and spot welded it in. Also drilled and counter sunk the flat stock and used some small nuts and bolts to strengthen and shrink the sheet steel some. Took out enough of the ripple, to puddy the rest. Doesn´t look to bad, stronger than stock.

LOCKED UP said:
DO you mean a dent in the "skin" or in the actual structure of the door?

If it's just in the "skin" & the toilet plunger method won't cut it.....

I have had success with footballs, soccerballs, etc....

Pull the inner panel, deflate the ball & insert it ... then fill it up with air till it pushes the dent out from the inside. Ball will put a lot more force on there than you usually can especially if the dent is in a hard to reach place.
Great tip!!! I tried this on mine after reading this. NO MORE DENT!!
Thanks-LD

Back