• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what kind of wheeling for WJ knuckles?

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to start building up my XJ this summer. It will be a daily driver, light-moderate trail rig, and camper-trailer tow vehicle. I will be running, at most, 31" tires on this vehicle.

I've seen a magazine article and read threads on here about the WJ steering knuckle conversion. I really like the idea of bigger brakes to make up for the increased tire size. But do I need bigger brakes and stronger steering knuckles for 31's? Thanks.

Geoff

gcam said:
I'm going to start building up my XJ this summer. It will be a daily driver, light-moderate trail rig, and camper-trailer tow vehicle. I will be running, at most, 31" tires on this vehicle.

I've seen a magazine article and read threads on here about the WJ steering knuckle conversion. I really like the idea of bigger brakes to make up for the increased tire size. But do I need bigger brakes and stronger steering knuckles for 31's? Thanks.

Geoff

I don't know of any inherent problem with the knuckles but 31's and moderate to easy trails shouldn't stress things that much. Even the wimpest of axles can usually survive that.

bigger/better brakes are always a worthwhile upgrade, IMO. since you're towing, i'd recommend the brakes regardless of tire size (even if you were all stock and towing, it wouldn't be a bad idea!)

remember, to get the most benefit, you should also upgrade to the WJ booster and master cylinder. I have about $500 tied up in my brake conversion and would do it again without hesitation. keep an eye out on ebay for the later style calipers (2002+, IIRC), which let you run bigger pads than the older style.

Back