• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33s on stock wheels?

ColoCherokees

NAXJA Forum User
A friend is selling me 33x950s at a crazy low price (means I can't say no). If I run these tires on stock rims, can I expect to do any trails, or will I have stupidbad clearance issues? I've got a 96 with approx. 5.5" of lift BTW.

2nd Question - I'm thinking 4.5" to 4.75" backspacing on wheels (when I can afford em) for 33x950s, does this sound right? Thanks.

Matt

You have enough lift to clear the 33" part easy.
The problem with stock wheels and 33's is that most get the 33s in 12.5 width, which would put the tires into the suspension all over the place on stock backspacing. With the 33x9.5's, though, I doubt you will have much of a problem.
For new wheels with those tires, I would go 3.75" bs so you can get some stance out of those 33s, but 4.5 would look fine too, and probably tuck better.
Good luck, and get the 33s.
I mean, you have 5.5" lift.
Personally, I would cut for 35s, but thats me.
Hasta.

Do it. You may need some bumpstop extensions if you don't have them already. They will probably clear better with the stock rims than aftermarket ones. A 15x7" rim is ideal for a 9.50" wide tire. You should expect to rub the lower control arms at full turn, and maybe above the coil spring inside the fender. No big worries there. Good luck.

Jared:patriot:

I think <4.5" backspacing would look silly with such skinny tires. Either just run the stock ones until you need new tires, then get new wheels with ~4" BS and 33 or 35x12.5s tires since you'll be tired of the skinny tire anyways.

Alot of people run 33x10.5s on stock wheels so you should be fine.

I run stock Ecco rims on 33x10.5r15 BFG at's, the only thing that I hit is the lower control arm. Now I don't get crazy in turning full lock to lock anyway unless I have to. but with 33x9.5 I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt you would touch anything with it, or only the lca on full lock. Juice

Back