• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windsheild Trim

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if the windsheild trim off a 97+ will fit a pre 97? Only reason I ask is becasue the pre 97 trim is made out of metal and the 97+ trim is made out of rubber. And IMO I think that the rubber looks better.

Thanks
Chris

YES, the late model rubber trim WILL fit. I did just that on my old '92.

There IS A TRICK. The rubber trim attaches to the glass proper, so it requires that the windshield be REMOVED AND REINSTALLED to attach the rubber type trim.

Ditto what AZ Jeff said, with the clarification that the new style isn't "trim," it's a gasket. When I replaced the windshield on my '88 MJ the glass guy told me AFTER he had installed the glass the old way that he could have done it with the gasket for just the additional cost of the gasket. If only he had mentioned that before he did the work ...

Just to make sure it's understood, the new rubber "gasket" trim still requires the same adhesives to install the windshield. It's not like the old-fashioned rubber gasket that is used, for example, on the hatch glass. But because it does wrap around the edges of the glass, it must be on the glass before the glass is stuck down. Some people recommend that you break off the little metal posts in the frame that were used for the old style trim, but this isn't absolutely necessary.

Where can one find the 97+ rubber gasket (perferably new)?

And it totally covers tha gaps left by the metal trim?

Do you just put it around the windshield first and then urethane it into place?

prljeep said:
Where can one find the 97+ rubber gasket (perferably new)?

And it totally covers tha gaps left by the metal trim?

Do you just put it around the windshield first and then urethane it into place?
Any auto glass place can get the rubber trim. It DOES completely cover the gap between the glass and the normal exposed portion of the body around the windshield. And YES, it does have to be installed on the glass PRIOR to glueing the glass in place in the body.

This is a job for an auto glass guy, NOT for the home mechanic. It's also pretty cheap to pay a glass guy to do it for you, relative speaking.

AZ Jeff said:
Any auto glass place can get the rubber trim. It DOES completely cover the gap between the glass and the normal exposed portion of the body around the windshield. And YES, it does have to be installed on the glass PRIOR to glueing the glass in place in the body.

This is a job for an auto glass guy, NOT for the home mechanic. It's also pretty cheap to pay a glass guy to do it for you, relative speaking.
AZ Jeff is exactly right. I needed a new windshield on my 93 and asked for the new gasket. The installer showed up with it and charged me about $25 but it was worth it. (windshield was free from insurance co.) It looks so clean compared to that crappy aluminum.

Back