• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans swap Questions

3XJsinPA

NAXJA Forum User
Well, it is time again to trade the Transmission and the Transfer Case for my 88 2 door to my 90 4 door Pioneer. They are both AW-4 NP 231 combos.

I have put in a transmission or 2 in my day, but funny thing is, I have never taken one out. I am mechanically inclined, but need a little guidance here and there.

I have the Hayes manual, but it is little vague on the subject. So my questions are as follow:

What problems would I more than likely run into along the way?
What would be the proper order to remove things?
Things I should know (i.e. make sure I do not lose the magnets cleaning out the transmission pan)?

Thank you for your time and cooperation. Any feedback would more than be appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your time.

Mike

One of the things you'll need is a 3/8" star socket for the top 2 bellhousing bolts. You haynes manual will have the correct order to remove things, but it's pretty obvious as it is when you're down there. As you said, don't lose the pan magnets, also make sure you don't bend the torque converter inspection plate on removal. If you do, get it straight before putting it back on or it will hit the torque converter bolts. Watch out for the plastic quick disconnects for the cooler lines at the tranny. They are old and brittle, and usually break, so it's a good idea to buy those ahead of time. My local dealer price is $14 ea. I would also clean the NSS on the new tranny while its out.

SimpleXJ

what is porpose of those stupid pastic things on trans cooler lines, can i do away with them some how, i only got one previos owner must of ditched one.
why does manual stress marking tour convert to flywheel so much, If u are changeing trans and tour convert u cant do it, should i test fit the tour converter before I install the tranny

thank you for your time(sorry for grammer one to many during disassembly)
Mike

Back