• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Shocks

DannyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to replace the four shocks on my 91 XJ. It is a daily driver and the suspension is stock. What is the best type of shock to put on these XJs? Is it going to be a complex operation or is it pretty basic?
Thanks Guys

It's pretty basic; can be done without the Jeep leaving the ground although it would be kinda tight under a stocker. I've run Doetsch Tech 3000s on my XJ while lifted 2" and 4.5" - ran no-names while they were stock. The only real difficulty you may encounter would be the bar pins in the bushings since they can be a bear to install if not already pressed in. I bypassed that nuisance by adding JKS Bar-Pin Eliminators

I think the biggest problem you're likely to encounter is removing the bolts holding the upper end of the rear shocks without breaking them off. A week before you plan to do the job, get under there every evening and soak those bolts down with PB Blaster or Kroil. Not just the heads -- be sure to get the nozzle up there so you get above the brackets and soak the threads.

Use anto-sieze when reinstalling.

Not to wimp out or anything but for a stocker just wait till they go on sale at Sears and have them install them, I had the monroe gas radial shocks installed, already had them replaced under the lifetime warranty once.TIP: While they are installing them wander out there with a small tube of anti-seize and coat the back upper bolts. Two advantages to this, if they break them they have to fix them and it allows you to 'prepare for the future'... Hey, it worked for me and when the time comes I hopefully won't have to do the PB thing a week ahead of time....

Danny XJ

I highly recommend Bilsteins. I've run them on my '90 XJ Laredo and like the rather firm handling I get. I run Bilsteins on 4 of my 5 cars and will buy no others for replacement. I also got them for about $55 bucks each. They have a lifetime warranty. Replacement wasn't to bad as long as you soak those bolts good with penetrating oil. I use Wurth "Rost-off" a good german product.

I also like your moniker. Are we related in a kind-of inverse sense?

XJ Danny

RichP said:
Not to wimp out or anything but for a stocker just wait till they go on sale at Sears and have them install them, I had the monroe gas radial shocks installed, already had them replaced under the lifetime warranty once.TIP: While they are installing them wander out there with a small tube of anti-seize and coat the back upper bolts. Two advantages to this, if they break them they have to fix them and it allows you to 'prepare for the future'... Hey, it worked for me and when the time comes I hopefully won't have to do the PB thing a week ahead of time....

Two problems with this approach:

(1) True, if they break 'em they have to fix 'em, but they fix 'em however THEY decide they want to, not the way you might want it done or consider correct. And they don't even have to tell you they broke them.

(2) At most Sears shops (as with most auto repair shops of any flavor) you're not allowed to just wander under a vehicle up on a lift and start swabbing anti-sieze on the bolts. You're not even allowed in the work area.

Will WD 40 work as a penetrating oil? I also have a lubricant that I use on my mountain bike called GT 85. Will these work? TIA

XJDanny said:
Danny XJ

I highly recommend Bilsteins. I've run them on my '90 XJ Laredo and like the rather firm handling I get. I run Bilsteins on 4 of my 5 cars and will buy no others for replacement. I also got them for about $55 bucks each. They have a lifetime warranty. Replacement wasn't to bad as long as you soak those bolts good with penetrating oil. I use Wurth "Rost-off" a good german product.

I also like your moniker. Are we related in a kind-of inverse sense?

XJ Danny

I highly recommend them as well, I really cannot believe how well my XJ handles now that I have installed them. No body roll, very stable, and a great hwy ride.

BTW, you live in Mississippi right? If its a southern XJ you shouldn't have too bad of problems removing the bolts, I didn't with my southern XJ.

DannyXJ said:
Will WD 40 work as a penetrating oil?
No. See the earlier recommendations for PB Blaster or Kroil.
DannyXJ said:
I also have a lubricant that I use on my mountain bike called GT 85. Will these work?
Can't say - I don't know that one.

DannyXJ said:
Will WD 40 work as a penetrating oil? I also have a lubricant that I use on my mountain bike called GT 85. Will these work? TIA

Your better off to find PB blaster, it really sinks in and works. IMHO WD40 is ineffective as a penetrant compared to most everything else on the market. Little trivia test: Do you know what WD40 actually stands for?
Mike B.

I stared with air-adjustable Gabriel Hi-Jackers in my '89. When I loaded up the rear I could level the XJ by increasing the air pressure from a air valve I installed on the frame rail. I later switched to Ranhco 9000s with the in cab control, and, although you can adjust the ride by altering the air pressure, you can't really compensate for a heavy load, or lift the rear as with the Hi-Jackers. After about 3 years, I'm still not much impressed with the Rancos. I think I might keep the in cab control w/air pump, and swap out the Ranchos for another set of Hi-Jackers.

Eagle said:
Two problems with this approach:

(1) True, if they break 'em they have to fix 'em, but they fix 'em however THEY decide they want to, not the way you might want it done or consider correct. And they don't even have to tell you they broke them.

(2) At most Sears shops (as with most auto repair shops of any flavor) you're not allowed to just wander under a vehicle up on a lift and start swabbing anti-sieze on the bolts. You're not even allowed in the work area.

Must be a CT thing. When Sears works on my XJ I watch them like a hawk
:laugh3:

I have the no name pepboy gas shocks aka "Monroe gas shocks" on my 92 XK and it handles great on road and the mild fire roads I drive on a daily basis. They were a whooping $23.00 each and took a hour of my time installing them. Just keep the reciept so the warrenty is valid.

1986xj said:
Your better off to find PB blaster, it really sinks in and works. IMHO WD40 is ineffective as a penetrant compared to most everything else on the market. Little trivia test: Do you know what WD40 actually stands for?
Mike B.
water displacement 40th try...no?

Newb question, but my XJ has Coil-overs in the back (Installed them for trailer towing). I never drove the Jeep before we had them installed. If I reaplace these will a "softer" shock, or any shock, how will it improve my handeling?

biscuitboy87 said:
water displacement 40th try...no?
Right on, give that man a, a ...... biscuit :roflmao:
Mike B.

jeepguy97 said:
Yea they had to try 40 times whats that tell ya about how well it works. :looser:
It works GREAT for water displacement...it sucks as a penetrating oil

Back