• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Idle

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I washed my engine today and now it is idling at 3000 rpms then after it warms up a little it goes down to about 1000. Any ideas what I've done to it ?
It isn't running rough , just fast. It wasn't high pressure just I hose. Distributor didn't get hardly wet at all. 1988 4.0 EFI
:variety:
Thanks !

idle sensor? close.

there are 2 sensors on the throttle body that can affect idle, the IAC motor and the TPS. the IAC is on the front left side of the throttle body and makes fine adjustments to keep it at the correct rpm at idle. the TPS is on the front right and tells the computer how much the throttle is open.

you may have got the wiring harness connection to the TPS wet. from the tps sensor, follow the wires to the connector and pull it apart. i would clean it with electrical contact spray and dry with some air. apply dialectric grease and put back together.

on an 88, you might want to do that with all your electrical connections.

When my TPS went out my xj idled high. I installed a new one and had a shop adjust it, and it went back to normal. I'd look there.

Back