• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive line for a SYE conversion

Bronco

NAXJA Forum User

Dose anyone know if you could use all or part of the front drive shaft from a full-size jeep for the driveline with a SYE. Its small in diameter but I’m thinking that means it’s thicker than a typical rear shaft and may take more rock abuse that a thin wall design of shaft. They must be strong. They come frome a ¾ ton Jeep. I’m thinking of doing a hack n tap SYE, so I think the problem may be figuring out how to bolt the CV joint to the SYE plate. And of course the length may need to be changed but that’s not hard. Any comments?

Anytime you change the lenth you hcve to rebalance it. I would look for the a vehicle wit the flange type DS, like maybe a ford. Otherwise you may just have to go new.

The only other option would be going with a HD SYE, like Avd Adpt. Then you could use the standard flange type. BTW I have trie to use a front DS form my wifes XJ w/ an AT. Not long enough, short by an inch.

So you can either save $$$ by using a used DS or you can save by using the RE H&T. Probably not both, but I may be wrong.

I used to use a front shaft for the rear all the time and It worked great. All you need is an adapter plate which they sell at any drive line shop.

Yes those driveshafts will work fine lots of yj guys use xj front shafts. I wish my rear output was a yoke type rather than a flange, they are easier to change and it will swap with the front. So you only have to carry one spare or its more likely people on the trail will have a spare that might work.

Back