• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's, RockKrawler or RE?

4Squirrels

NAXJA Forum User
Is Rusty's, RockKrawler or RE the best for ~6" of lift?

In about a month, I will be lifting my ’97 XJ (4.0L, M/T, NP231, c8.25). I want to run 33’s. I’m by experience a RE loyalist, but I’m considering other options due to similar costs. I’m torn between the RE 5.5” (drop brackets) plus shocks, the Rock Krawler 6.5” long arm, or Rusty’s 6.5” long arm. After everything is said and done, I’ll be looking at about $1600 bucks (plus SYE, drive shaft, tires…). Any opinions on which I should go with? Any distributor recommendations for RE? Is there anywhere I can see pictures of the Rusty’s lift components? Anything would help.

Last edited:
Have you looked into the Full-Traction long-arm...now THATS a very well thought out system. I think the best set up would be to run RE 5.5" coils, a Full-Traction long arm, BOR 4" leafs with 1.25" RE shackles, JKS trac-bar and disconects, and Bilstine shocks.....well atleast thats what Im going to do ;) :D

Avoid Rusty's stuff. Not familiar with Rockkrawler equipment, so I cannot advise one way or the other. RE has always provided good quality stuff.

man! another thread comparing lifts! do a search...you'll find that people usually end up with RE stuff. i think the best bet would be to mix and match, but use RE coils and springs...

brandon

shimmy said:
man! another thread comparing lifts! do a search...you'll find that people usually end up with RE stuff. i think the best bet would be to mix and match, but use RE coils and springs...

brandon

I have been. I've found that 75% or more run RE stuff, and that's probably what I'm going to do. However, I wanted to throw it out just to see what everyone's experiences were. (Basically, it confirmed what I already knew.)

Why not all three? I got Rustys Leaves, and longarms, RK shocks and coils, and the rest is RE. Alot of people put down stuff they have never used. I love all the products I have. The RK coils are right for me becasue they are soft and flexy, but stiff enough also. I can say Rusty's Longarms are BEEFY. I have the rear done up now and his leaves are nice also. You will find that most use RE, but I say mix n' match.

freerider15 said:
Why not all three? I got Rustys Leaves, and longarms, RK shocks and coils, and the rest is RE. Alot of people put down stuff they have never used. I love all the products I have. The RK coils are right for me becasue they are soft and flexy, but stiff enough also. I can say Rusty's Longarms are BEEFY. I have the rear done up now and his leaves are nice also. You will find that most use RE, but I say mix n' match.

Rusty's leaves leave a lot to be desired. Trust me, this is something you do not want to get from him. I was stupid enough to get his 4.5" kit, and the problems I had with his leaves were enough to drive you crazy.

My 2 Eurocents only.
---------
John SV1CEC

I'll be installing my Full-Traction 6" Longarm starting next weekend. Based on my experience thus far, it has been a very high quality kit. I just hope the performance that I get out of it is worth all of the pimpin' I've done every time a lift question is brought up...

Check out Full-Traction's lift components and compare them with some of the others out there. Oh, and just because everyone goes with RE doesn't mean you have to also :roll:

Well I have run rusty's for 5 years and love it...I put his 6.5" Long arm Kit on last May and have been very impressed with it...I know of 3 others guys running the 6.5" Long arm and they also like how it handles...I ran Tellico last weekend with 4 people in the XJ and not a problem wiht the springs or anything else...

I have the Rustys 8 inch long arm and I like it a whole lot the only problem was the track bar and I think he has that fixed with a different one.

Capt. Nemo said:
I'll be installing my Full-Traction 6" Longarm starting next weekend. Based on my experience thus far, it has been a very high quality kit. I just hope the performance that I get out of it is worth all of the pimpin' I've done every time a lift question is brought up...

Check out Full-Traction's lift components and compare them with some of the others out there. Oh, and just because everyone goes with RE doesn't mean you have to also :roll:

let us know what you think of the setup and installation ease and performance!

brandon

I love my RE 5.5". Only wish I'd bought more of it from Dirk at www.dpgoffroad.com. Great guy, great prices

Had all three, got RE now and don't plan on changing.

I also live 30 minutes from Rustys if that matters to you.

Thanks for all of the input. Now I'm torn. I think I WILL end up mixing and matching. I'm thinking Rock Krawler long arm kit and RE 5.5" minus the control arms and drop brackets. With OME shocks, SYE, drive shaft, and 33's, I should be just within budget. Any recomendations from here?

You might also check out bigoffroad.com. He carries RE stuff and says that he'll beat any price. I haven't dealt with him yet, so I can't tell you anything more about him, but thought that I'd throw that out.

Robert

XJWheelie said:
You might also check out bigoffroad.com. He carries RE stuff and says that he'll beat any price. I haven't dealt with him yet, so I can't tell you anything more about him, but thought that I'd throw that out.

Robert

JohnJohn will do you right, both up front and after the fact. You won't go wrong with BIGOffroad.

Nay

Back