• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 skid plate/rock guard..

i just got a crane high clearance diff cover. they are crazy expensive! but they look good and are really stout!

brandon

Why would you want one? That is about as useless a piece of equipment as you can get, right after chrome nerf bars. If you don't do rocks, you won't hurt the diff. If you do rocks, the loss of ground clearance under the diff with the guard is unnacceptable. The only people I have known that used them cursed them and took them off as soon as they could. Really, they just aren't needed, and no one who does hard core rock stuff uses one. Besides, you can't self clearance the bottom of the diff with one of those things on there. :D

Spend the money on something else. :)

well with the turbo city peice i only lost less than an inch.. and rocks is all we have here in new england.. i am lifting higher and that will give some room to work with but i have been hung up on the flat lip a few times now.. its certainly not the priority but its on my "think i'll get one eventually" list... but so is another D44.. :D

mike

sidriptide said:
I am lifting higher and that will give some room to work with but i have been hung up on the flat lip a few times now..

Well you can lift all you want, but you will not regain the lost height due to a slider. It's the tires that control the lost height there :D

Is there any way to weld a piece of flat stock to the bottom of the diff and call it good? That seems as though it would be better. You arent gonna know your rear diff on things the way you might knock your front on them, as in you wont hit the lightweight cover.

Fergie

Kejtar said:
Well you can lift all you want, but you will not regain the lost height due to a slider. It's the tires that control the lost height there :D

uhh..... the lift IS for bigger tires.... hence, my creative signature..

mike

Grind the lip off with an angle grinder, weld a strap of steel over the ring gear on the cover and call it good.

Ive heard of bad things happening with those sliders like the plate bending up into the cover and ring gear. Sliding on the cast diff isn't gonna hurt anything, its mashing in the thin diff cover you need to worry about.

i mentioned that i went with a crane high clearance earlier. dont get one of those bolt on tube like diff gaurds. they are a waste of money and only look somewhat cool. seriously, if you hit one of those hard, they will just bend with the lip of your cover! its just more stuff to get hung up on.

brandon

found what i was looking for at MAD 4WD... a small reduction in clearance is worth it to me.. and if i bash it hard enough to bend the rear lip up into the diff cover i am doing something WAY wrong...
thanks guys..

mike

sidriptide said:
found what i was looking for at MAD 4WD... a small reduction in clearance is worth it to me.. and if i bash it hard enough to bend the rear lip up into the diff cover i am doing something WAY wrong...
thanks guys..

mike

THis topic got me thinking a bit and I think it's possible to make one that costs no loss of clearance and has no chance of bending up into the cover. It would include some grinding of the lip on the 8.25 though (going to have to ask some Q's abotu that). ANyways, I will post some sketches of what I'm thinking of sometime tomorrow.

i like that blue torch cover but i wanted something to keep me from getting hung up on stuff.. and the turbo city part does exactly that.. i will look into shaving the dif or welding a slider to it later....

mike

Back