• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do U-Joints look like?

skunker

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I am getting a "clunking" noise that also jolts my '90 Jeep Cherokee (Pioneer) backwards when I hit the gas pedal. I started getting this problem after I added a 2" lift (blocks).

I've had some people tell me that this may be my u-joints.

What are u-joints and what do they look like? Are there any pictures on the web?

Thanks.

ujoint.jpg

Look at the end of you drive shaft and you'll see one of those.

Sounds like the blocks are adding axle wrap into your problems, and I'd recommend greasing the slip splines on the driveshaft...they'll make a 'clunk' when dry. Some of the 'clunking' problems are also attributed to the rear brakes being out of adjustment and holding tension in the driveline - when you let off the brakes and hit the gas you feel the tension released as a 'clunk'

Hey Yucca Man,
I think your comment sums up what I am experiencing.

I noticed that when I put the Jeep in Neutral, I can move the driveshaft a bit, but when the Jeep is in Park gear, I can't move it. Is this one way of looking for the problem? I heard that it is not supposed to have any "play" at all.

Back