• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what i hate about my 01 xj

bugman1964

NAXJA Forum User
my check engine light comes on ever so often due t othe fuel vaporizing and leaking past the fuel injector due to engine temps they have already wrpped my fi in heat tape but it still does it is this going ot be a plaguig issue or is chrysler going to come up with a real fix?
jacob
01 limited

I work at a dealer and we have people complaining about this all the time. I have one customer who happens to be an indy race car engine mechanic who was quite upset at me not being able to fix his problem. He has an 01 XJ 4.0l too. there is 2 published TSBs for this problem. One being the heat wrap for the #3 injector, and the other being a PCM software update that makes the cooling fans to turn on at a lower temp. This suppsedly makes the underhood temps lower. Both repairs were made to his XJ with no real help for the rough running condtion. This guy I'm referring to travels between CA and AZ quite often and has the problem more in the hotter AZ areas. He swapped in a 180* thermostat and he seems to be pretty happy with the results. My 96 XJ has a similar problem when out driving on the trail. If I turn off the engine afor about 15 mins, it runs rough and sets multiple misfire codes. It will clear up after about 20 seconds, but it is quite annoying. I plan on installing a 180* thermostat and trying it for myself. Some people around this board will caution you against putting a lower temp thermostat because of emissions. The engine controller goes into closed loop when the engine temp hits 170*, so a 180* thermostat won't affect the emissions adversly. Anything below 170* will be a problem, so be careful how low you go. Give it a try if you like, but rest assured, you aren't the only one struggling with this problem.

Bryan

I'm going to be shopping for a new(er) XJ soon. Thanks for narrowing my search. I won't be shopping for an '01. Is this problem found strictly on this year?

No comments about the low-pinion D30 in the '00 and '01 XJs? That was a brilliant move by our friends at D-C... :rolleyes:

Yucca-Man said:
No comments about the low-pinion D30 in the '00 and '01 XJs? That was a brilliant move by our friends at D-C... :rolleyes:
No doubt, Jim! My front axle's been swapped with a '94!
I haven't had any trouble lights with mine, and I live in AZ. I live up on the mountain, so I don't often deal with the extreme heat that happens in the Valley. The radiator on mine was pretty clogged when I got it, and I had to flush it twice to get all the crud out. I still run the 195* thermostat, and the Jeep runs between 190-210 all the time.

I've had the same problem all winter long with my '97. I insulated the fuel line, rail and all of the injectors with closed cell pipe wrap. About the same time I filled up at an out of town gas station (Albuquerque gets a winter blend of gas with high ethanol content), and I haven't had the problem since. I'm not sure if the gas solved it, or the insulation, or both. I'll know more after running a few more tanks of gas through it, cause I haven't filled up in town since then.

Back