• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very High Idle

88woody

NAXJA Forum User
This started happening last Sunday.
I was out hitting the powerlines (very muddy). I went thru a puddle that was up to my doors. (very fun)
after I exited the puddle, I got out to survey what happened. (my brother was behind me) Out of habit, I turned the jeep off. When I started it back up, it revved to 3000, and stayed there. I checked most of the vacuum lines, I sprayed the tbi with some cleaner, I checked the air-box, and nothing seems to cure it.
Now, in the morning, it will start up just fine.(hover around 700-1000 rpm)
However, i deliver pizzas as a second job (nothing like 65 hours a week:()
About an hour into running around, it comes back....
Sometimes it will shoot right up and then come down, other times it will stay right at 2000rpm. (customers really don't like that sound at 2a.m.)
Any ideas?
I'm going to assume that it is a bad idea to shift into reverse or drive when it is displaying these symptoms?

88 waggy, 4.0L
new: tps (no, i didn't calibrate it), MAP sensor, new exhaust from the manifold back.
I haven't gotten around to the 02 sensor

I know I'm being impatient....

Anybody?

i have the same problem with my 87.. if the new TPS doesnt fix my problem i an gonna look for vacuum leaks....

mike

Back