• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 steering....again-sorry

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I have searched a TON and researched all kinds of different steering setups for my D30 and finally fell on this style, like JnJs set up.
frontend1.jpg

So I went about buying all the TREs and DOM for it, and I got the DOm home and mocked up the tie rod and I had this discovery.
I dont think its gonna fit!
There is just not enough clearance between the tie rod and the diff cover and the coil buckets. Now coil buckets couild be dealt with, but teh diff cover is a different story! So, I am just curious if you guys have any suggestions? It just doesnt seem like the knuckles stick out far enough to get enough clearance to get lock to lock. I will try and post a pic of it later so you can see how close it is. Are there other knuckles I can swap in?
I am open to any and all ideas, but I think I might be hosed. Which then leads me into buying a d44 front and all that goes along with that......Not what I was hoping for. So all help is appreciated. Will post pics later.

As far as knuckles go, there are the WJ ones. Not only you get better steering angles but better brakes also on your D30 as well.

I haven't heard any issues with the TR hitting the cover. I have seen ZPD's setup on XJWORLD the web-site first hand. His TR is under the knuckles and only interferred with the trackbar mount. Over the knuckle I could see it hitt the Swaybar mounts.

HTH

I have practically the same setup, 1 ton TRE's knuckle to knuckle. My tie rod hit the diff cover when turning so I just adjusted the steering stops on the knuckle. Even with the stops adjusted to clear the tie rod my tires rub on the LCA's so theres no big deal with adjusting the stops. You will have to relocate the trackbar mounting on the axle and move the coil buckets back on the axle. This will allow you to move the axle foward about 2" so heck ya extended wheel base:D I have pics but no way to host them, if you would like to see them I can email them to you.

AARON

ChuckD said:
As far as knuckles go, there are the WJ ones.

HTH

Stupid question time, but is the WJ a Liberty? While I'm busy asking questions, did the ZJ change designations when it went through its change a few years back?

Robert

What's the new bolt pattern?
I'm looking into this also.

TIA

MrShoeBoy I owuld be really interested in seeing how you did it! Email me those pics and I will hsot them for you.
[email protected]
I think taht will be the easiest, and I will try to avoid having to do all the work of getting the WJ knuckle in there. At least for now. Thanks for the replies. Anxious to try and make this work now!
josh

Back