• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator conversion done

xtremewlr

NAXJA Forum User
Just completed the radiator conversion on my '89 yesterday. Last week, the stock closed radiator with plastic tanks decided it had had enough and blew up on me. I had been hoping it would last a little longer as $ was tight but the jeep had been having cooling issues for a while. The temps would be fine driving around town on short trips but if I had to drive for anything longer than a 30 minute trip on the freeway, temps would start going to redline. I think that I had a sticking thermostat too since I would watch the temps bounce around from redline, to around 210 and back to redline with in a matter of a few seconds.

Ive never been a fan of the closed system on the pre 91 XJs, so a conversion to the open system was the obvious choice. I had originally planned on getting an HD 3 row CSF from DPGOffroad but they are closed from March 31st to April 12th for the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab. I ended up buying a 91+ Modine 2 row with metal end tanks from a local radiator shop. Since the whole cooling system on my jeep was unknown to me, I also replaced everything else related to it. New lifetime waterpump from Napa, 91+ thermostat housing from Mopar, 180deg thermostat, stock 91+ overflow bottle from Mopar, a new 91+ heater control valve and all new radiator and heater hoses. I still need to do the GM fan control switch mod but for now I am letting the electric fan run at all times like I had with the closed system.

Once everything was installed and all fluids were checked, I let the jeep idle for about an hour, watching temps. The temp sat solidly at the 1/4 way mark (180deg??) on the stock temp guage, occasionaly creeping up just barely past it. I then took the jeep for a 45 minute test drive in traffic and on the freeway and the temps never changed from what I saw at idle. I dont think this jeep has ever run this cool in its whole life! I am very pleased with the outcome, even though everything ended up costing about $130 more than I originally expected (the radiator was $192 after taxes locally which was actually about the avarage cost around town from what I could find).

The only problems I ran into during the conversion was trying to figure out a good place to mount the overflow tank and puncturing the AC condensor while tring to attach it to the radiator (they attach to each other to prevent movement). So now I will have to replace the condensor ($130 from Napa) at sometime so I can have AC again :bawl:

I would like to thank Bryan C. for his little writeup found here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17466&highlight=radiator+conversion
I found that to be the most usefull info when it came time to route the new heater hoses thru the 91+ heater control valve, plus it has all the part #s needed to do the GM fan control switch. The other article I found very helpfull is this writeup on Cherokee America:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/12_dec/radiator/radiator.html

I will post pictures of the completed setup later today. For now, here is a shot of the old radiator and its blown up tank. More pics can be found here: http://xj.rockmongers.com/gallery/radiator

Platic tanks SUCK!!
IMG_0056.sized.jpg

Glad to hear someone read that post. :D Happy to be of help. I thought the GM fan switch was a great soloution to running the electric fan.

Bryan

xtremewlr said:
It sure sounds like it. I still need to do that part so I dont have the elec fan running all the time.
Did you ever do the GM control mod?

Back