• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering column

sullju

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search for this but couldn't find anything. The tilt part of the steering colmn feels broken, i can move the steering wheel up and down. Not totally almost like it's just on the left side. Is there an easy fix for this?

Justin

Assuming it's an earlier XJ, the tilt column is a GM part - I bought a kit with the common wear parts at my local Chevy dealer, about $15... Jeep dealer wanted $55, if they could get it. Use LocTite when you put it all back together, lube the switches while you're in there.....

The bearing cap (resembles a grease cup), popped off of mine, replaced the balls, cap, greased and used a screw driver to bend the edge over the cap in a half dozen places. Be real carefull with the plastic parts, they get old and brittle. Don´t unhook any wire that isn´t absolutely necessary, I managed to get enough extra wire, to flop most everytning over to the side, without unhooking much of anything, column cover was a pain, to get to move up far enough, to get some extra wire, but it´s doable.

Sorry, no part number. The guy at the parts counter knew what I was talking about, seems they sell enough to keep a couple of kits in stock. Had a funny looking bearing, some springs, and maybe some screws? in the kit. Did this about 18 months ago on my '87. '96 is totally different. About all I can remember.....

I hope I get a knowledgable parts guy, most of the ones around here aren't. Do you remember what he called it? Thanks.

Justin

Back