• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ideal gear ratio for 35in tires ?

I run 4.88's with my 33" TSL's, I feel it is not enough gearing for 33's let alone 35's. I intend to move up to 5.30's when I upgrade my axles and move to 36's

-Scott

Stick said:
Yea, I read the 23 page one on this. And the opinions were like A**holes, and everybody had thier own.
Well if you see the end of it you'll see that what everyone was saying along ended up being what he went with and is very happy with them.

You'll want at least 4.56 gears but if you can get 4.88 for your axles you will be find with the overdrive trans. I have 4.56 gears with my 35" mtr's and a 200K mile 4.0L 91' xj and would like deeper gears but 4.56 gears are the lowest I can go with my 8.25 rear axle.

Stick said:
Yea, I read the 23 page one on this. And the opinions were like A**holes, and everybody had thier own.

And you thought asking again would change that? ;)

Stick said:
What would be the best axel ratio for 35 in tires, and a 5 speed??
Based on the fact that I am currently running 4.88's with 31's and a manual tranny, I'd say something between 5.50 and 6.00 if it were available. Really! 4.88's are just about perfect with 31's (unless you needed to consistently run 75 or 80 mph - with my current combo, 70 MPH is only 3,000 RPM's and Oregon's maximum speed limit is 65).

Therefore, IMHO, you will want to go with the lowest gearing your axles will allow.

BTW - I regeared last fall with the plan of making some modifications this Spring to install the 35's I already have in storage.

my new axles will be 5.38s but thats as low as i can go with the setup I will be running an 70mph with 35s is only 2500rpm I had 4.56 and wasn't happy.

Hey red87cherokee you rock. I thought me running 4.56s with 31s and an auto was crazy, but I absolutely loved it. Hell if I ever switch my front axle in my jeep as well as the rear (which should be a 9 inch soon), I would probably go with 5.38s with the auto. ----------Kyle

offroadman83 said:
Hey red87cherokee you rock. I thought me running 4.56s with 31s and an auto was crazy, but I absolutely loved it.
Kyle, FWIW - Yesterday I had to take off my winter snow tires. They were a set I bought pre-lift and were 235/75R15's (actual measurement about 29.25" diameter) - I liked that gearing even better with the 4.88's than with the 31's!

It makes life real interesting, though - 4.88's, 235's, Part-Time 4WD, locked f/r (lockright/Detroit), and 6" of snow (over a packed base of snow/ice) on city streets - like we had several times this winter. Delicate driving technique needed, for sure.

Jump This said:
Snow?? Ice ??? Move to the desert!!
Ironically, Central Oregon is a desert - I checked and we only get a couple more inches of moisture each year than Borrego Springs, but a lot of our precipitation is in the winter as snow.

Back