• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which diff fluid?

Abugarcia

NAXJA Forum User
Well I need to refill my axle with some gear lube and have not had any luck finding which weight to use. I have a 1987 XJ with a rear 44 LSD, front 30. What fluid should I use and what LSD additive do I need?
Thanks,
-Eric

The recommended axle juice back then was 80W90 conventional gear oil. More recent spec is 75W140 synthetic, which you should use in the rear if you tow or carry heavy loads often, otherwise the 80W90 dinosaur juice is cheaper.

With either, get a bottle of Trac-Lok friction modifier from a Mopar dealer for the limited slip.

Dunno the capacity.

Synthetic would be better, of course, but it's a LOT more expensive, and harder to find. If you encounter any water in your wheeling you are probably dumping the axle juice frequently anyway, so it probably doesn't make sense to be using the expensive spread when it's not in for very long.

Abugarcia said:
Any idea on the capacity of a 44? Also if all I do is off-road would you recommend the synthetic?
Thanks
Fluid cap.2.5 US pints, this is from 87 owners manual.No mention of D35 or D44.
Just but 2 US qts and save the leftovers for when it leaks.
Wayne :wave1:

Thanks guys. I ended up using 80w90 because I couldn't find any synthetic. Decided I would do the front while I was at it and 1 gallon was just about right for the both of them.
Thanks again,
-Eric

Back