• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Windshield Wiper Motor

JMR1160

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 XJ and the windshield wipers stopped working. The variable speed went and then low and now High. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it? I don't know if it is the switch on the steering column or the wiper motor?

JMR1160 said:
I have a 95 XJ and the windshield wipers stopped working. The variable speed went and then low and now High. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it? I don't know if it is the switch on the steering column or the wiper motor?

Speed of the wipers and the delay function are controlled by the switch.

I would look at the switch, plus the wires leading to/from the switch as well.

The first thing to try is to get under the dash and find the delay module. It should be a black box with a largish plug at each end, stuck to the underside of the dash with Velcro. Remove that module, and plug the two ends of the harness together. If your wipers now work, it's the module. If they still don't, you'll have to do some more troubleshooting. You could start by taking the cowl vent cover off, and unplugging the motor, and seeing if there is any voltage to the motor terminals. One terminal will be hot all the time the ignition is on (that's the park line). One should go hot when you're on high, and another on low. You can figure this out with a test light and trial and error. If you're getting voltage to the terminals, it's the motor. If there isn't, you need to trace backwards.

MTC says if you had functions and lost 1, then 2, then all I'd look first at the relay box under your feet, like the previous post said. Then if its not working, pull out the motor and put direct power to it. Odds are it isn't your switch. I would think everything would go with the switch as opposed to the relay box or the motor. Good Luck!

It's more of a hunting thing than anything else... at least you only have 3 parts to examine...

Back