• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another airbag recall question

ClassicXJ

NAXJA Member #1276
Okay kinda a long story. On sunday I was wheeling, and got some water in my cab and later my airbag light was on. I noticed my air control module was under my seat and got wet so I figured that was the cause. Then I found out there was a recall on the module to be moved so I called the Jeep dealership. They told me the recall was done. I said but the module is still under my seat and they told me oh well it's my fault I took it wheeling and got it wet. So I called DC up to complain and they told me recalls were at the desision on the dealership, they then called the dealershp and again they said my fault I wheeled it and got water in there. SO what should I do now? I want to find a copy of the recall that the techs use when the perform the work.. the Jeep dealership says they don't have to move the box when they do the recall if it isn't malfunctioning or looks clean. I want to see what it says but I don't know how to get a copy. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a new module and relocate it myself? Thanks for any help.

First off, never give them ANY information they don't ask for, EVER. NEVER volunteer anything. You compounded it by telling DC directly. Never admit you did ANY damage Off-Road, EVER. The only hope you have is to find another jeep dealer, stop in and say, 'Hey, how come my airbag light is always on' at which point [if you are lucky] they will say 'Oh, it needs the recall done and seeing as how it appears wet and coroded which is the reason the recall was announced in the first place, we will have to replace the module'. They replaced mine when I had it done, it had gotten mysteriously wet a few times, I never noticed when I was cleaning the mud from around it so I have no idea how it got that way, condensation I guess. Hopefully they will do the thing and find out your prior computer paper trail, other dealer and DC directly, after you have left.... Personally I would take a hair dryer to the surrounding carpet and dry it out so it is not too obvious what you were doing and get rid of any mud, mud clumps INSIDE are bad for warranty or recall work :D
Upon reflection, mud clumps inside or outside are bad for any warranty or recall work as are alot of dents, dings and gouges on the skid plates.... :doh:

Last edited:
IF YOU GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS I CAN SEND YOU COPY OF RECALL
AND IF YOU INCLUDE THE VIN I WILL LET YOU KNOE IF AND WHEN IT WAS DONE
BUT YOU CANNOT TELL THEM WHERE YOU GOT THE INFO FROM
[email protected]

OR YOU CAN CALL TOLL FREE THE AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE
1-800-424-9393
WASHINGTON, DC CALL 1-202-366-0123

Last edited:
Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. The recall states that the airbag control module must be replaced and relocated. I looked at the recall myself and found no instructions for inspecting and not relocating. Here is a few cut and pastes from the actual recall letter.

SAFETY RECALL TO REPLACE YOUR VEHICLE’S AIRBAG CONTROL MODULE
Dear Jeep® Cherokee Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

DaimlerChrysler Corporation has determined that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some 1997 through 1999 model year Jeep Cherokee vehicles.

The problem is... The airbag control module on your Cherokee (identified on the enclosed form) may corrode internally due to water intrusion. Internal corrosion could cause illumination of the airbag warning light or cause the airbags to deploy without warning. This could injure a front seat occupant if they are out of position or cause an accident.
What DaimlerChrysler and your dealer will do... DaimlerChrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace and relocate the airbag control module. The work will take about one hour to complete. However, additional time may be necessary depending on how dealer appointments are scheduled and processed.
What you must do to ensure your safety... Simply contact your dealer right away to schedule a service appointment. Ask the dealer to hold the parts for your vehicle or to order them before your appointment.
Bring the enclosed Owner Notification Form with you to your dealer. It identifies the required service to the dealer.

If you need help... If you have questions or concerns which the dealer is unable to resolve, pleasecontact the DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-992-1997. A representative will assist you. If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, S.W., Washington, DC 20590, or call the Toll Free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393. Washington, DC area residents may call 1-202-366-0123.

We're sorry for any inconvenience, but we are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

Customer Services Field Operations
DaimlerChrysler Corporation

And the actual steps for performing the recall. And the rest of the recall wording.

May 2000

Dealer Service Instructions for:

Safety Recall No. 860
Airbag Control Module

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Models

1997-1999 (XJ) Jeep® Cherokee

IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to stop sale and complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the DIAL VIP System.

Subject

The Airbag Control Module (ACM) on about 390,000 of the above vehicles may corrode internally due to water intrusion. Internal corrosion could cause illumination of the airbag warning light or cause the airbags to deploy without warning. This could injure a front seat occupant if they are out of position or cause an accident without warning.

Repair

The ACM must be replaced and relocated.

Parts Information

Each dealerto whom vehicles in the recall were invoiced (or the current dealer at the same street address) will receive enough ACM Packages to service about 25% of those vehicles.

Dealers should determine which ACM package is required for each vehicle at thetime appointments are scheduled to assure that the correct part is available when the customer arrives. The ACM package for the vehicle to be serviced may be determined by:

Using the part code in the third column of the VIN list along with the following table (involved dealers);
Using the VIN and part number list electronically transmitted to DIAL System Function 53 (involved dealers); or
Entering the VIN into the DIAL VIP System (sales code information) along with the following table (all dealers):
Model Year VIN Code
(10th Digit) Part Code Part Number
1998 W 1 CBUF8601
1999 X
1997 V 2 CBK38602

Each package contains the following components:

Quantity Description
1 ACM Module
1 ACM Bracket
1 Console Support Bracket
3 ACM Nuts
4 ACM Bracket Screws
1 Support Bracket Screw
2 Support Bracket Screws
1 Wiring Clip
1 Wiring Extension
1 Heat Shrink Tube
2 Adhesive Combs
1 Tie Strap
1 Template

Service Procedure

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTE: To enhance customer satisfaction, remember to record all radio settings before disconnecting the battery and to reset all electronic memory (clock, radio settings, etc.) when you have completed the service procedure.

Remove the three (3) screws and one (1) nut that attach the driver’s seat to the floor pan (Figure 1).
For vehicles equipped with a power driver’s seat, disconnect the power seat and heated seat (if equipped) electrical connectors.
Disconnect the seat belt buckle warning switch electrical connector.
Remove the driver’s seat from the vehicle.
Remove the transmission shift lever handle.
For automatic transmission vehicles, sharply pull straight up on the handle to remove it and then use a trim stick to remove the shift indicator bezel.
For manual transmission vehicles, loosen the locknut and then unthread the shift knob from the shaft. Next, pull up the shifter boot and remove it.
Remove the transfer case shift lever bezel or cover plate using a trim stick (Figure 2).
Open the console storage compartment lid and remove the two (2) console screws located inside of the storage compartment (Figure 2).
Remove the remaining two console screws from the shift lever openings and then remove the console assembly (Figure 2).
Remove the rear heat duct (Figure 2).
Remove the console support bracket screws and discard the console support bracket (Figure 2).
Remove the three (3) ACM cover screws and then discard the ACM cover (Figure 3).
Disconnect the ACM electrical connector by sliding the white locks rearward and then depressing the locking tabs.
Remove the three (3) ACM attachment nuts (Figure 3).
Remove the old ACM, destroy the old ACM connector pins and then discard the old ACM.
Reinstall the rearmost two (2) ACM cover screws to seal the floor pan.
Disconnect the ACM ground eyelet from the front seat riser just in front of the old ACM location.
Pull the ACM harness and seat belt buckle warning harness under the carpeting and up into the center console area so that the ACM connector and ground eyelet extend out of the center tunnel cutout.
Locate the provided template on the two (2) right side console support bracket screw holes (Figure 4). Secure the template to the floor pan with two of the support bracket screws. Install the rear screw first and then install the front screw. Tighten the screws securely.
NOTE: Trim the carpet and insulation, if necessary, to access the screw hole locations. Do not trim beyond the impression left in the carpet from the console.

Using the template as a guide, drill two (2) 3/16" holes in the floorpan for the ACM bracket.
Remove and discard the template.
Position the new ACM bracket on the center floorpan. Align the two (2) right bracket holes with the holes that were drilled in Step 20.
Using the bracket as a template, mark the location of the two (2) left ACM bracket holes (Figure 5). Remove the ACM bracket.
Center punch the two (2) left ACM bracket hole locations.
Using a 3/16" bit, drill the two (2) left ACM bracket holes in the floorpan.
NOTE: To ensure proper alignment, make sure to mark and drill all floorpan holes before attaching the bracket.

Attach the new ACM bracket to the center tunnel with the four (4) supplied ACM bracket self-tapping screws. Tighten the ACM bracket screws to 65 in-lbs (7.3 N•m).
IMPORTANT: Use only HAND tools when tightening the ACM bracket screws. Do NOT use power tools. Over-tightening may strip the floorpan holes.

Using a 5/32" bit, drill a hole in the right side of the ACM bracket for the ACM ground screw in the location shown in Figure 6.
Attach the new ACM to the ACM bracket with the three (3) supplied ACM nuts (Figure 7). Tighten the ACM nuts to 65 in-lbs (7.3 N•m).
IMPORTANT: Use only HAND tools when tightening the ACM nuts. Do NOT use power tools. Over-tightening may damage the ACM.

Install the new console support bracket over the ACM (Figure 8). Make sure that the ACM harness is routed outside of the console support bracket. Secure the bracket to the center tunnel with the three (3) provided screws (use the one larger screw on the left side and the two smaller screws on the right side).
NOTE: Due to vehicle variability, there may be some interference between the right rear leg of the console support bracket and the ACM module. To ease installation, install the right rear support bracket screw first, then the right front screw, followed by the left center screw.

Connect the ACM harness to the ACM. Make sure that the connector locking tabs are secure.
Using the original ground screw, attach the ACM ground eyelet to the ACM bracket at the hole that was drilled in Step 27. Tighten the screw securely.
Using the provided tie strap/clip, secure the ACM harness and ground wire to the console support bracket leg (Figure 8). Pull any excess harness length forward but do not use excessive force. Remove any excess tie strap length.
Stuff any excess ACM harness under the carpet on the top of the center tunnel.
Stuff any excess ACM ground harness under the carpet on the driver’s side of the center tunnel.
Pull any excess brake lever switch wiring rearward and tie strap it to the ACM harness.
Measure the length of the seat belt warning switch harness take-out (Figure 9).

If the take-out length is more than 31", route the harness back under the carpeting into its original location.
If the take-out length is 31" or less, attach the wiring extension and seal the connectors as follows:

Slip the 75mm piece of heat shrink tubing over the supplied wiring extension.
Connect the wiring extension connector to the mating connector on the seat belt warning switch harness (Figure 10).
Cut the tape back about 1" from the connector on the seat belt warning switch harness.
Place an adhesive comb at or near each end of the joined harness and extension connectors (Figure 10).
Apply two wraps of 1" electrical tape behind each of the adhesive combs (Figure 10).
Center the heat shrink tubing over the connectors and adhesive combs.
Use a heat source to melt the heat shrink tubing and adhesive combs. Heat the connection until the tubing fully covers the joint and adhesive is seen flowing out of the tubing ends.
Route the harness extension under the carpeting so that the connector comes through the carpeting in the original seat belt switch harness location. Stuff any excess harness length under the carpeting.

Install the rear HVAC duct (Figure 2).
Install the console assembly and the console screws (Figure 2).
Open the console storage compartment lid and install the two (2) console screws located inside of the storage compartment (Figure 2).
Install the transfer case shift lever bezel or cover plate (Figure 2).
Install the transmission shift lever handle.
For automatic transmission vehicles, install the shift indicator bezel and shift lever handle. Make sure that the indicator tab is located in the alignment bracket.
For manual transmission vehicles, install the shifter boot, thread the shift knob onto the shaft and then tighten the locknut.
Install the driver’s seat into the vehicle.
Connect the seat belt buckle warning switch electrical connector.
For power seat equipped vehicles, connect the power seat and, if equipped, the heated seat electrical connectors.
Install the three (3) screws and one (1) nut that attach the driver’s seat to the floor pan (Figure 1). Tighten the bolts to 20 ft-lbs (27 N•m) and tighten the nut to 30 ft-lbs (40 N•m).
With the ignition switch in the ON position, connect the negative battery cable.
From outside the vehicle, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position for about 10 seconds and then back to the ON position.
Observe the airbag warning light in the instrument cluster. It should illuminate for 6-8 seconds and then go out.
NOTE: If the airbag warning light fails to light or lights and stays on, there is a system malfunction. Refer to the proper Body Diagnostic Procedures manual to diagnose and repair the problem.

Completion Reporting and Reimbursement

Claims for vehicles that have been serviced must be submitted on the DIAL System. Claims submitted will be used by DaimlerChrysler to record recall service completions and provide dealer payments.

Use the following labor operation number and time allowance:

Description Labor Op. No. Time
Replace and relocate ACM 08860182 1.0 hour

Add the cost of the recall parts package plus applicable dealer allowance to your claim.

NOTE: See the Warranty Administration Manual, Recall Claim Processing Section, for complete recall claim processing instructions.

Parts Return

Not required.

I too can run your VIN and see where and when the recall was supposedly done on your Jeep. PM me your VIN, mileage and the first 4 letters of your last name and I will run it and see what is up if you would like. This should have been taken care of by the dealer you brought it to regardless of the circumstances surrounding how and why the water got under your seat. If that doesn't help, ask to talk to the dealership General Manager and ask him to review the recall with you so you and he can know exactly what is expected of the recall and by his dealership. You can also demand to talk to the Chrysler district manager, I am sure he will be the ultimate decision maker in the process.

Bryan

WOW thanks for everyone's help with this. I am going to head over to the Jeep Dealership tommorrow armed with the recall and intructions and raise a little hell. I'll let you know how it works out.

Back