• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sagging in new full AAL

Urban Redneck

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, got my full AAL's in and one side is sagging and not the other. It stumps me because it is not the side with my spare. It is the side with less weight on it. Any suggestions, comments, past experience? :dunno:

Urban Redneck said:
Ok, got my full AAL's in and one side is sagging and not the other. It stumps me because it is not the side with my spare. It is the side with less weight on it. Any suggestions, comments, past experience? :dunno:

When you installed it did you a. remove the whole packs or b. install it while on jeep? If a. then did you fully tigthen the springand shackle bolts a. while rear end was in the air or b. while on the ground If a. raise rear and loosen bolts just a tad and sit it on the ground and then tighten them.

ALso look at your leaf pack towards the eyes and check if it's not bent out and over (hard to describe: look for S shape)

Mine did it too on that side (although it took 3 years), so I swapped sides on the spring packs and it leveled out within a week.

Kejtar said:
When you installed it did you a. remove the whole packs or b. install it while on jeep? If a. then did you fully tigthen the springand shackle bolts a. while rear end was in the air or b. while on the ground If a. raise rear and loosen bolts just a tad and sit it on the ground and then tighten them.

ALso look at your leaf pack towards the eyes and check if it's not bent out and over (hard to describe: look for S shape)

Ok, I did them on the XJ, in the air, but have tightened the ubolts since. I will look for an S at the eyes. How do you get the pack off of the front without cutting the backer? The nut in the frame is in a little pocket. Is there any way to get a wrench in there and hold the nut? I busted 5 studs/bolts doing the BB and don't really feel like busting more.

Urban Redneck said:
Ok, I did them on the XJ, in the air, but have tightened the ubolts since. I will look for an S at the eyes. How do you get the pack off of the front without cutting the backer? The nut in the frame is in a little pocket. Is there any way to get a wrench in there and hold the nut? I busted 5 studs/bolts doing the BB and don't really feel like busting more.

Well take it up into the air and loosen the bolts abit(two turns or so) and sit it on the ground and then retighten them to spec. Part of the problem is that if you tigthen everything in the air you will not let the packs settle evenly potentially acusing what you're seeing.

Btw, dikd you bust that nut in the frame? if not, then don't worry about it, since you just R&R's the bolts you should be able to loosen it without any trouble.

Kejtar said:
Well take it up into the air and loosen the bolts abit(two turns or so) and sit it on the ground and then retighten them to spec. Part of the problem is that if you tigthen everything in the air you will not let the packs settle evenly potentially acusing what you're seeing.

Btw, dikd you bust that nut in the frame? if not, then don't worry about it, since you just R&R's the bolts you should be able to loosen it without any trouble.

I did the final tighten on the ground and I never took out or loosened the spring mount bolts, only the Ubolts on the diff spring perches.

Urban Redneck said:
I did the final tighten on the ground and I never took out or loosened the spring mount bolts, only the Ubolts on the diff spring perches.
OK.. then that's different. Here comes another stupid question: where the AAL's equal on both sides? as in was there a front and rear to them and if so did you maybe rotate one 180 degrees?

Kejtar said:
OK.. then that's different. Here comes another stupid question: where the AAL's equal on both sides? as in was there a front and rear to them and if so did you maybe rotate one 180 degrees?

Yes, there was a front and back. They both went in the same way, cuz to turn them 180* would have meant that one stuck out the back.

Axle wrap. The passenger side spring gets quite a beating, even whole spring packs get a little low on the passenger side after a while. Your pass side springs were probably just a bit more sagged or flattened when you put the AALs in. You could insert a little block, Ive just learned to deal with it.

I'm going to look on Saturday and see if my shackle flipped when I took the leaf pack apart. My Dad is a wrench for Chrysler/Jeep and said that sometimes that may happen when the pack is apart. Also, going to see if there is somewhere around this area that I can take this and flex it. A big rock, a rail road tie, a kids teeter tauter, something. Maybe I will drive over to the local park at night and drive it up the slide! LOL! Maybe getting this thing to flex may help? Hurt? :dunno:

Back