• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

c-clip axle shafts

uplandhawaii

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching and couldn't find an answer to this question, Can you use non c-clip shafts in a c-clip axle? This is in reference to the dana 35. The shafts are identical in specs, I think the difference lies in the axle seal. If I find the correct seal number can I use the non c-clip shafts?
TIA
upland

I hear that you CANNOT because the c-clip holds the axel in. But I may have misunderstood when I was told that.

The non c-clip Dana 35 axles have a retainer plate at the outer end that's held onto the outer flange by four bolts. The c-clip axles aren't set up with this plate. I don't know if it can be retrofitted. Doing so might require a different backing plate. (???)

In any event, it's not as simple as just using a different seal.

I guess I wasn't really clear with my question, I have a set of non-c clip axle shafts with all associated plates and bearings, can I just slide them in to my dana 35C, c-clip housing as direct bolt on replacements for my c-clip shafts?
From the looks of the carrier and bearings it appears that only the axle seal is different, the mounting bolt for the plates are there as well. Are there any differences in the non c-clip housing compared to the c-clip housing that would prevent me from running these shafts?

Thanks for the responses, I heard of c-clip eliminators buts its not worth wasting money on the D35C, but I have free shafts so I figured I'd give it a try.

TIA
upland

Last edited:
uplandhawaii said:
I guess I wasn't really clear with my question, I have a set of non-c clip axle shafts with all associated plates and bearings, can I just slide them in to my dana 35C, c-clip housing as direct bolt on replacements for my c-clip shafts?

OK... let me ask you this question: what would prevent the axles from sliding out if you did that?? That being the problem, the answer is no.

The retaining plate looks like it will bolt to the d35C axle housing, it has the 4 mounting studs on the housing. I measured the the studs and it should bolt up to the non c-clip plate. I guess the only way to be sure is to pull the c-clip shaft and put it on. I guess I could order the seals for a 87' housing with the non c-clip ans see if that would work.

Thanks for letting me brainstorm, I'll post later this weekend to say if it will work or not.

upland

Okay this is what I found out the c-clip axle housing has seals/bearings pressed into it, the non-c-clip has the seal/bearings pressed on the shafts. That is the only difference I can find right now, the axle retaining plate does mount to the studs on the d35c housing, the problem is with the axle seal/bearings. I have to find a d35 housing to compare to the d35c housing to see if the tube diameters are different and see if the bearings can be swapped.

Yeah, I agree, I have it apart now and my only hang up is the seal/bearings. I'm about to pull the D35c assembly and mike it to check the dia. of the seal and then I can compare it to the non c-clip seal/bearings.

If it doesn't work then at least I'll have done a gear oil change, axle seal change :laugh:

Don't remember which is which w/o getting very wet and muddy, but on one of the D35 axles the tubes are smaller and then bell out near the outer ends, on the other they are constant diameter for the full length. That might or might not affect swapping the seals from a non c-clip setup into a c-clip assembly.

Back