• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting ready to lift & buy tires

Twisted Copper

NAXJA Member #962
Hey folks! New to this board.

I just bought a 2000 XJ, 4.0, Auto, Chrys 8.25, (3.55 gears :( )

I just bought a 4.5 lift from Hell Creek Suspensions (basically a rough country kit w/ H.C. rear springs). These rear springs are designed to rotate the pinion upward to avoid the use of shims (great idea, let's see if it works). I want to run a 33x10.50 BFG on the stock 15x7 grizzly wheels. I will adjust the steering stops slightly and trim the front bumper end caps to help avoid rubbing.

Do you think I will be able to run this setup without any problems, and will the rotated pinion and T.C. drop will be enough to hold off doing a SYE/Driveshaft conversion for a while? Looking for some thoughts and suggestions on this - good or bad.

TwistedCopper

*EDIT* I did do a search on this in this forum, but I didn't see any mention of adjusting Steering stops or doing this on a '97 or later, so I started a thread

Last edited:
2000 probably going to need SYE at 4.5
My 97 needed one at 5.5 and just sizing up the stock DS next to the TW replacement I don't think the stock would have reached. At 4.5 I think you'd have minimal engagement. 97+ are real prone to vibes TC drop may not fix :dunno:
If you do the SYE you'll love it, I do No vibes at all and no clearance lost.

No personal experience with tire wheel combo, from all I've read on forums you should be fine.

I'd consider regearing with 33" tires

Hope this helps some, Have fun wrenching on it

Well if this forum has proven anything to me every XJ is different.
My vibes were unbearable at 3" w/o the TC drop. With the drop all was fine. I didn't even want to try it at 5.5
There are posts I've read of XJ's at 6" without doing a SYE.

Barger said:
I'd consider regearing with 33" tires

I concur TC. Go bigger.
:clap:

Hey there,
I installed a RE3.5 SF. Mine has the vibes all the time even with the TC drop.. I'm going for a Hack and Tap and a new DS from DPG offroad and hopefully that will do it. I'll have to install shims in the rear also..
Later,
Frank

Back