• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone drilled/tapped the AW4 tranny pan for a temp sensor?

My friend Erich did. I think he dropped the pan and welded in a nut, but I'm not certain.

mad maXJ said:
it is aluminum, right? if so, I don't have access to a TIG (or Al mig), so i'm hoping I can just tap it. otherwise i will just plumb it into a tranny line.

bulkhead type fittings will be fine (no weld)

just be careful about your placement, you don't want the inside of the sensor getting in the way, clearance wise with anything else, there's a few spots that will be out of the way of any internal stuff.

do it, you'll be fine.

VDO makes a seletion of sensors that replace the oil fill plug. They also make a dip stick sender.

wouldn't it make sense to put the sensor in the line that goes into the tranny cooler. that way you get the true temp of the fluid? as long as u put it in the input line and not the out line of the cooler. you could get a T fitting and stick it where it goes into the rad.

RINGKONG said:
wouldn't it make sense to put the sensor in the line that goes into the tranny cooler. that way you get the true temp of the fluid? as long as u put it in the input line and not the out line of the cooler. you could get a T fitting and stick it where it goes into the rad.

that was another thought... there has been much debate on where to put the sensor, in the tranny to see what temp it is actually at, on the in side of the cooler to see what temp fluid it's pumping out, or on the outside of the cooler to see what temp fluid it's pumping in... the consensus seemed to be for in the pan being best, but yes, on the "in" side of the cooler would probably be a close second.

mad maXJ said:
that was another thought... there has been much debate on where to put the sensor, in the tranny to see what temp it is actually at, on the in side of the cooler to see what temp fluid it's pumping out, or on the outside of the cooler to see what temp fluid it's pumping in... the consensus seemed to be for in the pan being best, but yes, on the "in" side of the cooler would probably be a close second.

I think the "in" line side would be better. it is coming directly out of the guts of the tranny and not sitting in the pan cooling off waiting to be pumped. :D

mad maXJ said:
but it also has several feet of line to cool off some... does the pump draw out of the "guts" or out of the bottom of the pan?

I would think out of the bottom of the pan.. but I don't know I am a big dumb ape. :D

For what its worth, I have a tranny temp sensor on the “in” side going to the radiator (the top hose). It cost $6 at a plumbing store to come up with the brass fittings. It seems to be working pretty well. B&M and Auto Meter make fittings for oil pans. You just drill a hole in the pan and screw the two coupling pieces together. They are threaded internally for temp sensor. Its easy to do, I just couldn’t find a good place to put it in the pan. That’s why I ended up putting the sensor in the line. As far as I can tell the tranny averages 180* in 2 hi on pavement. It will quickly jump up to 220* in 4 hi working hard up hill in 10” of snow. That seems kind of high to me, but I haven't had any tranny problems over the last 2 years.

The pan is steel by the way except for a few early examples. No problem welding it then. Mount it to the side of the pan near the cross member at the corner. That way it is away from the filter and will not get hung up on anything.

Auto007.jpg

If you are welding on it anyway why dont you make a deep sump like I have by cutting up two stock pans? I noticed a big difference when towing in hot weather as it often would not change down at the right time before. Now no problem at all.

AutoPan%20019.jpg

Pictures from my auto service and deep pan write ups in case you want more info.

http://go.jeep-xj.info

I had the local parts store build me a "T" out of brass fittings.
3/8 hose barb on both ends and 1/8" for the sending unit.

Yup, that's how to do it.

I'm just impressed with gojeeps pictures still being online 10 years later.

Cal, Yah, but people are still interested as I see it come up from time to time.

That's an interesting solution, I like it.

I'm pretty impressed on the longevity of the GoJeep site also!

-Ron

^^^^^
what he said.

generating some extra heat should be OK if you can bleed it off again.

Back