• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to do Dakota leaf springs

JEONLYEP

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking for a link to a tech article about doing Dakota Leaf springs. But have been coming up empty. Anyone know of a good site for this info?

The reason I'm asking is that the springs I got have a larger sized center pin, and drilling the main leaf from the XJ pack is proving to be difficult.

Thanks for any help.

Daryl

seanR said:
Why is it difficult? Just run a drill bit through the whole leaf pack once it is assembled.

Maybe it's that my drill bit was dull to start out with. But it just didn't seem to want to cut into the spring at all. I do know that the outer edge is dull now.

Going to try a new bit tomorrow.

My other thought is that I could use a "washer"

By taking the XJ bottom leaf and cutting it to the same length of the spring pad and putting that just below the bottom leaf of the Dakota pack. That could be easier. Especially since the bottom leaf on my XJ pack has broken off on the front side of the spring pad. (both left and right sides)

So then I'd have (top to bottom)

XJ main leaf with small hole,
4 Dakota leafs with large hole,
XJ shortened bottom leaf with small hole.

All held together with small centering pin.

there's like only 1/8 inch or less difference in the holes. But it's enough that I don't trust the "head" of the pin to not pull into the bottom leaf when tightened.

Plus that's another 1/4 inch lift! LOL.

I think that would work. Don't you?

Last edited:
JEONLYEP ... I'm going to make the same swap withing the next couple of weeks using a set of Dakota springs. I'm going to get a good bit to use and drill out the hole so I can use the larger diameter spring pack bolt. I am hoping to get more flex out of the springs and want to have the added strength in this bolt. I've read in here that some have broken this bolt before.

Using a short XJ spring on the bottom with the smaller spring pack bolt might work OK ... :dunno:

Les

Thanks Griz for posting that! I was looking for it and you saved me!!

Well as a first impression. My Dakota leaf springs are like McDonalds, I'm Lovin' it!
It's amazing, I had a cobbled up mess trying to keep the back even with the front, 2 inch lift blocks with a 3 inch full length AAL and 1.5 inch lift shackles on the stock XJ springs. Now with no blocks no AAL (kept the shackles) it's 2 inches higher than it was before. (can you sacked out springs?) If I'd had known how well and relatively easy this was, I'd not done all that other crap to try and keep it level. As a matter of fact the back looks higher than the front for the first time during my ownership. Seems to flex rather well also.
Now just gotta get my bump stops set at the right height, and get some new shocks (since I was in the area replacing spring pads and springs, I moved my shock mounts up to even with the axle.)
Then there are the 80 or so other projects that I'm working on (50% XJ related, 99.9% if you ask my wife.)

Thanks for the advice and info.

Daryl

:photo:
How 'bout a pic or two??

asatxj said:
:photo:
How 'bout a pic or two??

Okay but you asked for it.

Aaxlenohangingdown1.JPG

Aaxlenohangingdown2.JPG

Aaxlenohangingdown3.JPG

Here is my two way adjustable bump stop.

Atwowaybumpstop.JPG

Here's the hole enchilada.

Adoornumber2.JPG

I did go Dakota crazy on this. The rear brake line is from a dakota 4x4 as well.

Still need to throw some paint at the door and the ends of the springs that I cut.

The door is one of the other projects that I spoke of earlier.

Last edited:
Looks good ... by the way ... Did you end up drilling out the hole or did you just use the smaller diameter spring pack bolt?

Les

Thanks ... I'm picking up a set of Dakotas Saturday to replace my rears with. I'll probably be facing the same problem unless I'm able to drill the main leaf. I already have a pair of larger spring pack bolts, so I'll see ...

Good Job ...

Les

Stick said:
How much total lift do you have in the rear now ?

Well, am not 100% sure if this will answer your question. But the center of the axle to fender flare is 21 inches passenger side 21.5 drivers. (most be the 20 pounds of door I cut out.)

Careful which Dakota leafs you buy, mine including my rough Country add-a-leaf only netted me 4 inches in the rear, and my coils netted me almost 5 in the front. I ended up having to use the supplied blocks which I didn't want to, I'll glad they were just a 2 inch block. Needless to say the Dakota packs I paid $80 for were worthless. This summer I will probably have to buy full packs. :soapbox:

Back