• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 Xj How Can I Go Wrong?

SUBLIME

NAXJA Forum User
There is a 95 XJ for sale at a local dealer. 4WD, 4.0L, 5 speed, a/c works, 75k miles. They are asking $3,595 for it. Blue book looks to be around $5,300. Haven't seen it in person, but the it looks really clean in the photos. If a VIN trace comes back clean, how can I go wrong? Anything particular problems with 95s? Also, what is the best and cheapest VIN search to use?

Thanks

I believe 95 was the first year with an airbag and the last year with ODBI. Makes it easier to play around with. Also means replacement cat for your 95 will run about $300 less than my '96. '96 brought on a few engine tweaks, but nothing major. The body changed around a little in '97.

Just look really carefully for signs of major body work. Oddly enough, just recently I've seen several pretty nice looking XJ's at local dealers, which on closer examination had pretty clearly been rolled and rebuilt - and not that well, either.

The rear quarter panels on an XJ, and especially one of around that vintage, may look a little wavy even if it hasn't had body work, but look for door misalignment, and sight carefully down the edges of the roof. Also check for floor rust and rust on the rocker panels. A 95 is getting to that age.

But sometimes you just get a good deal because the dealer got a good deal at the auction, in which case you're in luck.

Beware of piston slap. It was very common for a few years, 95 included. If it has a knock at idle avoid it. My 95 has been doing that since 70K and its been very well maintained and not abused. The only other issue you may have with a 95 is the cooling system. Mine ran really hot before I replaced the stock radiator with a Modine two row. Don't ket that scare you off though, I love my 95 and plan on keeping it for a long time.

It sounds like a good price though as long as its in good shape.

Back