• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clayton x member

jeepme

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
who has welded on there clayton x member themselves. The reason I am asking is after mine was welded on ( I didnt weld it but I was watching the hole time) I replaced my drivers side motor mount and noticed that the motor is not streight. The mount will not line up with the holes on the frame pad and you can clearly see that the bracket on the motor and the frame mounted bracket are not lined up. The front ear of the motor bracket is accually touching the frame mounted pad. I looked at the x member and it is perfectly lined up on the frame rails. Basically to correct the problem I would have to shift the x member over towards the drivers side, but then it would hang over the frame rail on that side( not good). Any ideas what would cause the motor and trans to shift so bad. I checked the tranny mount and it looks good no cracks or worping. :confused:

Hey Jeff

Does Clayton specify for different tranny/t-cases? Do they have different offsets? You wouldn't want to shift the x-member over, but maybe the x-member's tranny mount bushing isn't in the prper location for your tranny. You have an AW-4 w. the 231, right?

How much play/adjustment is there in the motor mount. I think there's some room for movement, but not certain. It's been quite awhile since I changed mine so I really can't tell ya. I think age has something to do with this too. :)

Did you cut down the arms yet? Let me know if you need a hand. Will it be ready for next Tuesday?

hey dave

dont think it will be ready by tuesday :bawl: I checked the offset and matched it to the stock x member and it is correct. I re mounted everything last night and got it move over about a 1/4" so it is not hitting the frame pad but the motor mount still is 1/2" off from the frame pad holes. this is really starting to make me :flamemad:

HAHA... Its ok. I ran into that exact same problem. And I thought it was claytons crossmember even! But you just REALLY gotta put some force on that engine. I used MORE motor mounts. Maybe something was wrong. But you have to do what you have to do right? Wheel!

MATT

It sounds to me like your crossmember is 180* off. Unbolt the crossmember and turn it around and I'll bet its perfect.
I had the same prob with mine and couldn't shift to 4low because the t-case linkage was all jammed up. Turned it 180* and perfect.
Hope that helps,
Crunch

Back