• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help help- i am leaking gas

Codeman

NAXJA Forum User
I am leaking gas in my 94 xj- from the area where the 6th port (closest to the front of jeep) runs into head...any ideas? I need to fix this tonight!!

Sounds like an o-ring problem, and I doubt you can find an o-ring kit at night.

Biggest problem is that it's not safe to drive it until you get it fixed. This is what causes XJs to burst into flames. One member lost his MJ because he knew it was leaking, and he drove it to the dealership to buy an o-ring kit. He walked out of the parts department to see his truck in flames.

alright, I just went to Autozone (24 hrs) but no luck, found an o ring kit for mine at advanced auto parts online, but i have to wait for tomorow to get it. Thanks! Any wisdom on changing them?

Make sure you depressurize the rail before you open it up. Be ready to clean up spills, and don't work on a hot engine. It is possible to replace the injectors or the o-rings without disconnecting the fuel lines to the rail, but you have to be careful when pulling it out of the way. When reinstalling, lubricate the o-rings well with something like vaseline, or silicone grease. Someone posting here the other day used K-Y Jelly with good results. They can be pretty hard to push back in. Make sure the holes are well cleaned up before putting them back.

I'm new to XJ's and the World Of Fuel Injectors.

Should I add an injector O-ring Kit in my onboard spare parts bag?
Now, it only consists of a spare CPS, and a relay, and fuses.

Cost of O-ring kit?

Does it service only one injector? ...or all of them?

Thanks all.

Codeman said:
will wd40 work ok? Any thing else to watch for? Ive never worked on a fuel injection system before.
NO dont use wd40 or similar products they will eat the o rings, use KY as suggested it works!

Be very careful with the injectors... if they are the two piece kind.. not sure what year they changed.. but my 88 and 87 came with the 2 piece kind..

I made 3 injectors leak around the middle when I changed out O rings... :hang: :D

use lube for the O rings... ky or jergens.. :D

I also had fuel leaks on the injector rail. Basically the rail can leak where ever there is fuel pressure. Don't expect a leak by the o-ring between injector and head - not much pressure there. But leaks by the o-ring between injector and rail are possible.

I didn't see any leaks past o-rings. My first leak was gas passing out of the injector around the electrical connector on the injector. I replaced the injector and cured the leak. Someone suggested I replace all injectors, but proud me didn't want to spend the $$. Thereafter the other injectors failed one at a time over the next months. I ended up replacing all anyway but it was way more work.

The good news is that the rail isn't difficult to work on. Gets easy after you've done it a few times.

The other leak I saw was where the fuel pressure hose from the pump connects to the rail. There is a fancy o-ring arrangement there which is difficult to get back together properly. I didn't do it right and had a leak. The dealer will sell you new o-rings for this but they aren't cheap - $20 or $30 a set if I remember correctly. I was able to purchase an o-ring kit for injectors from NAPA or Autozone. This was convenient but after a while I just used the old o-rings because I got so good with the rail that if one leaked I could easily replace it.

When you pull the injectors it's likely that 1 or more o-rings within the head will remain in the head and not come out with the injector. This happened to me but the o-ring didn't fall down into the head and I was able to hook it out with a bit of wire.

There are other posts at NAXJA that concern fuel injectors. Seems like you can beat the Autozone prices by buying over the 'net.

The others are correct about gas leaks. These should get your immediate attention, or at least you should be ready to bail out and run at any moment!

speaking from experience (or inexperience) watch out for the hard plastic line that runs from the MAP sensor across the rail to the throttle body area, it won't bend much before it breaks especially if its cold

I got just got em fixed - runs great! no leakage! I got my kit from advanced auto parts for $4
I ended up using (new) motor oil to lube em up- which i guess esplaines why my exhaust was white for a minute or so...lol
thanx for all the help- it really was easy.
Codeman

Back