• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stage Build up on Cherokee

trjosu

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks for the help on my tire question. Now I have another question that I hope isn't one thats been asked a million times. I just got out of college, got my business off the ground and finally have a little money to spend on a 4 wheel drive. So I bought a 2001 Cherokee sport to start working on. I want to keep it pretty simple since it will be a daily driver for a little while. What are the Essentials to start doing some beginner trails? I'd like to do things in stages since I can't drop a whole load of dough at once. I'm planning on a small lift and bigger tires obviously but what else? There is so much stuff out there I just need some help sorting through it.

The first things I'd get are a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit. Second on the list would be front and rear tow points with some recovery gear(tow strap, etc.) Third on the list should be some skid plates and rock rails. That's quite a bit of money right there to start out.

Jes

My main line of thinking is short lift/tyres, possibly bumpers, provision for carrying spare gas/parts/water/&c, and recovery points with gear inside somewhere. Add in a few other "basics" - flares, blanket, non-perishable foods, and some sort of two-way radio - always assume you might get stuck out in East Nowhere, but plan on coming back. There is something to "worst-case" planning, believe me.

If you lift 3" or more without doing a BB, toss in sway bar discos for maximum articulation, but keep the sways for on-road duties.

Increase electrical capacity, to anticipate lighting and a winch.

I'm just cranky, but get real steel wheels if you don't have them already - I've bent steels out in the boonies and they can be made servicable with a hammer in a pinch. Not a perfect job, but it can get you back to civilisation.

Shovel, ax, hammer.

OBA or a portable air compressor.

Fire extinguishers (again, I'm cranky. Minimum 2x5# bottles.)

A DECENT first aid kit. I know the store-boughts are better than nothing, but those are for papercuts and bee stings. Build a low-grade trauma kit and KNOW HOW TO USE IT!

Operator upgrades ---

Mechanical know-how - not only general stuff, but enough to do your mods yourself (even if you don't) and know how to strip down any major assembly.

First aid know-how - I said it before, I'll say it again. Know how to use the stuff in your first aid kit. The life you save may be your own.

Buddy system - I leanred this way back when in Demo school - "Two is One, One is NONE." Backups and buddies, can't live without them. Get used to pairing off. When you go out, always let someone know where you're going, when you'll be back, and have a "drop-dead" time for when you get home.

Orienteering - GPS units have batteries. Batteries die. Know how to navigate with a compass. Know how to navigate WITHOUT a compass. Most of this can be taught in a day or so, check with the Boy Scouts for a course. Also, look for military manuals on orienteering.

Did I miss anything?

5-90

Another vote for a fire extinguisher for sure! I did not have one and, well, I sure could have used one! :flame: If you get into a situation where you need one, it won't matter what else you do or do not have. On my way to buy my next Jeep, I'm going to stop somewhere and buy extinguishers.

Back