• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sound from the steering makes me nervous

jallen

NAXJA Forum User
2001 w/ 4.5 RE kit (+) adj. tracbar & 31's

when i make a sharp turn at a low speed my steering will make this WOOOOT sound. the sound is much more prevalant on left hand turns than right. i've checked and re-checked and everything is tight and greased and there are no visible cracks or tears on the "frame" where the steering box mounts.

any ideas?

TIA

wooot sound? Mine makes a metal against metal sound after going through muddy water. I found it to be where the bottom balljoint connect to the knuckle on the driver's side. It isn't greasable so you'll have to replace it or do what I do and spray a ton of gun oil or WD-40 into the space between it after everytime you go through water. After a few times around the block the it stops making the sounds.

A clunk on sharp turns, left being more prevalent, is almost always either a worn steering tierod end or a loose trackbar bolt on the axle end.

Give the entire steering a good greasing and see if it makes any difference. If it does, you have a tierod end that is wearing down or a grease boot that is busted. So grease regularly.

If it makes no difference, the chances are good that it is your trackbar. That stock bolt is notorious for loosening and eventually wallowing out the bracket. You will need somebody to turn the steering while you look for movement (chock the wheels). Also jounce (press the front end down, let it rebound, and repeat) the front end to check for movement (yes, this requires two people).

If it is your ball joints you'll have a lot of looseness at speed and probably some wobble.

My $.02 says trackbar.

Nay

Back