• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternative to hitch???

themud

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking for other ideas for a rear towpoint other than a boat anchor called a hitch just put on my new swing tire carrier and bumper made by protofab and also installed my gas tank skid plate....I like the clearance I gained from taking off the hitch also losing the 50+ lbs of the damn thing(I know I added them in the form of new bumper and skid plate but Im ignoring that :D )....My bumper is actually tied into the frame rails with the factory nutzerts and a piece of barstock from the old hitch mounting spot to the underside of the bumper with a pair of 1/2" bolts one on each side plus the normal 4 bolts for mounting the bumper...Any ideas at all anyone and please include pics if ya got em....
thanks
themud

What about the OEM towhook bracket that went on the drivers side?

I almost got one for mine, but opted to get a OEM Class III hitch for $20. IIRC, when I asked the parts guy at the dealer, he said they offered the bracket and I could get either a towhook or a bracket for attaching a shackle. I wasn't too sure about that shackle bracket, but I never looked into it since I got the hitch instead.

Pintle hook!

chop16.jpg

Ive thought about just using a piece of 1/4" plate and welding the tow hook to it after putting in some bolts to hold it to the nutzerts inside the frame rail but my question is this will that be strong enough or will I just distort the frame rail on that side??? I also had another idea to make a u shaped piece with again either 1/4 or 3/8 flat plate and then mount the tow hooks on both sides??? that gonna work any better or no that atleast ties the left and right sides togther for better twisting strength....
thanks
keep em coming...
themud

Back