• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

April 3rd trail run...

rj454

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone want to go do a mild/lower elevation trail close to Denver?
The tranny shop is done with my trans for the 2nd time.... :banghead: - so once again, I need to do a break-in run with it. I hope to get more than 32 miles outta it this time.
I heard there were some trails in Morrison, behind Red Rocks somewhere....anybody know of this?

Bugman1964 and I might be heading up around boulder on sat (lefthand canyon area). Is that too far north? The trails are likely going to be mild. I live in fort collins so northern is better than southern for me.

I'm interested depending on where you go. I'm also up north but I am willing to drive.

Im thinking left hand cause im a loley old stocker and the people who bought the jeep new werent even kind enough to purchase the skids..And well since its my daily driver i cant trash it yet...but if any one knows some where else other than left hand im up
jacob

Its been a while since i've been up carnage, but aren't most if not all of the obsicles up there optional (you can bypass them)? I think you can get a stock XJ through there damage-free.

If you're talking about the "Carnage" that's near Boulder, you're sadly mistaken my friend! :laugh3:

In short, I've heard Grant Barclay mention on several occasions that he uses Carnage to test the mods he'd done to his Durabak'd rig - If you've seen Grant's rig, you'll know this trail must be a big 'un to test his rig.......

I ran it last fall and it's a nasty little trail. There are no bypasses intended to get a vehicle through the whole trail. There are some "bypasses" to certain obstacle areas, but the bypasses are - for the most part - just a slightly easier obstacle.

My opinion of "Carnage": If you value your bumpers, lower rockers behind the rear wheels and your lower door skins - you have no business being there. Additionally, if you don't have good rocker sliders you're just asking for big damage. A rear locker is a must.

As far as lift goes, it all depends upon how much body damage you're willing to risk. A rig with 3" lift, 31's and a locker could make it through - but would get banged up and strapped frequently. Ideal set up would be 6", 33's with selectable front locker and lots of armor. I'm at 8", Detroits front and rear, 35's and 1/4" steel armor parts all over - and I still managed to smash my left rear lower rocker and bash my driver's lower door skin.

Now, if the group wanted to make a long day of it, the better equipped rigs could run Carnage and the others could drive up Left Hand Canyon (it runs parallel-ish to Carnage and meets up at the top) then they could hike down into Carnage to watch the technical stuff. Or continue further up Left Hand Canyon.

Hope this helps! Have fun with it! Wish I could join ya....

rj454 said:
Anyone want to go do a mild/lower elevation trail close to Denver?
The tranny shop is done with my trans for the 2nd time.... :banghead: - so once again, I need to do a break-in run with it. I hope to get more than 32 miles outta it this time.
I heard there were some trails in Morrison, behind Red Rocks somewhere....anybody know of this?

I dunno about any trails up around Morrison / Red Rocks, but have you gone up towards Bailey and run "Slaughterhouse Gulch"?

It's about 40 minutes up Hwy 285 just before you get to Bailey. It's a fun, "moderate" rated trail on forrest service property with lots of different kinds of trail surfaces (rocks, dirt, mud, steep hills and forrest tree cut clearings) I "cut my teeth" learning to 'wheel up there.

PM me and I can give you directions.

so are we going or what? We need to set up a meeting time and place( i guess just the lefthand trailhead) and let everyone know. I propose april 3rd, 10am at the lefthand trailhead. Any takers?

i work in boulder and know roughly how to get to left hand cannyon but not to sure s omaybe we should meet some where in boulder first?I might be able t oget one of the guys i work with and maybe some of the guys with cherokees from pollard jeep to come :yelclap:
jacob

nahh the more the happier do we want to meet at the battign cages there off of 28th before you turn up the canyon?
imight even stay up there with my budys from pollard camping and hit switzerland
Do we have a weather plan incase it rains or snows?

Here's a site that has a great description of Left Hand and Carnage, along with directions and good places to meet.

John

http://www.traildamage.com

you better check w/ others here or on CO-XJ, as last i heard all of that lefthand canyon "playground" area was closed off (w/ steel cables even)... so the carnage run would be the only option, which--as has been mentioned-- isn't the best run for a stock vehicle.
:p

to get there isn't too bad, just take either b'way or 28th all the way north of town as it turns (back) into highway 36 and you'll come to an intersection where you can either turn left (lefthand canyon) or continue north to lyons and estes park. you'll wanna make the left and follow the canyon as it twists west for several miles... coming to another intersection you'll want to hang right (that is, not turn left) and eventually you'll see the entrance to the trailhead on the righthand side -- likely full of emtpy trailers for all the ATV guys w/ guns.
:(

anyway, i'd join you if i didn't have to work, but i do suggest you confirm that the rest of the trail up there is even open as i was under the impression it was going to be closed a very long time (littering, fire, spent shells, irresponsible wheeling, etc.).

do let us know what you find out!

terry

i dont know man unless they did it here with in the past week or so cause my budy just ran it about 2 weeks ago in a rubicon just didnt go past 5 points which i doubt we would either with stockers....My only thing is the weather
we might want to lay down some phone numbers incase it gets radical weather.Some stations are saying it could be significant precipitation
jacob

If the batting cages are the ones near where 28th and highway 36 come together on the north side that will work well for me....i'll be coming up the diagonal anyway...as for the weather....hmmm...I dunno

If the batting cages are the ones where 28th and highway 36 meet on the west side that would be good for me; i would be coming up the diagonal anyway...anyone know how much rain/snow we're supposed to get?

Back