• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I got intimate with a sawzall this weekend...

Willis

NAXJA Forum User
Thought you guys might like to see why I couldn't go to Tahuya...

chop01.jpg

chop02.jpg

chop03.jpg

chop04.jpg

WOW!! Thats looks better then I have ever thought it would. Been thinking about doing something like that myself, but I lack the welding skills to try it.

Either way, that looks totally awesome! Good job.

Chris

holy shit! that looks awesome! be sure to post more pix when you're done. looks like its coming along great though!

brandon

Wish I had the balls to do something like that to my Jeep :p Or rather having it paid off. Looks good so far. Out of curiousity, what did the back window thingy come from? MJ maybe?

- Kevin

Ya, it's from an MJ. Same thing Goatman and Borton did. I may try the bodywork myself, but I doubt I'll be any good. My girlfriend's dad is a body man and gave me a hand. He said he'd help me with the final bodywork when he gets some other projects done. So, it may be a while till it's complete. I still have a lot of welding to do cause I ran out of gas at 5PM today.

Steve

Wow that looks really good! If I had a cherokee that I wasnt still paying on I might try that, I like the looks of the chopped tail end, gives for some outside cargo room too, that way you arent carting all your nasty dirty stuff inside too. Sucks to run out of gas, I've seen that happen to our welding guys. They tend to turn pretty pissy about it.

seanR said:
I am going to do that to mine someday! Looks real good. Do a write up on how you did it.

Not even a 'please?' Holy moly. From the looks of it he took a sawzall and cut off the back. Then he welded on the rear portion of an MJ cab. :wave:

Oh yeah Steve, looks nice. On the write-up note...do you happen to have any pics of the 'bed rails' (bottom of the rear windows) and rear door pillars, and how they looked after cutting?

ECKSJAY said:
Oh yeah Steve, looks nice. On the write-up note...do you happen to have any pics of the 'bed rails' (bottom of the rear windows) and rear door pillars, and how they looked after cutting?

I didn't cut the 'B' pillars or window/bedrail. This picture:
chop06.jpg

shows the 'B' pillar and window seam/bedrail. The 'B' pillars angle inward, and the sheetmetal from the MJ cab butt right up to the angled part giving a nice area to weld. In this picture:
chop05.jpg

you can see the pinch seam the rear side window gaskest mount to and how I cut the cab to fit around them.

I don't plan to do a complete write-up really. I didn't really think this would turn into much 'tech' because so many others have done it. Both Goatman and Borton did pretty complete write-ups and good picture taking. This is pretty much the only pics I have cause I was too busy to take them. I'll keep everyone updated though...

Oh, ya...btw, I am still paying on mine too :shocked:

...Rev has the right idea... :D

Thanks Steve, I just woke up when I posted...I see what I missed now. ;) Just brainstorming some ideas is all. You should see these sketches I have...hehehe... I gotta get the lower done first before the choppy starts though. :D

Looks good Steve. I like the look of it but it just isnt practical for me. What is the finished product gonna look like? MJ tail gate or open?

It's going to be open. I concidered the tailgate, but there isn't enough room between the back of the cab and where the tailgate would be to put a 35" tire. The tire will actually stick out a bit and overhang the bumper some. For under the cab, I plan to enclose that in with some sort of a fold down door, so I can lay down my back seat, lay down the door, then slide long items (like axles) in through the bed and under the cab. I'd also like to dove-tail the rear, but that seems like a lot more work. I'm trying to come up with some original ideas so it's not like an exact clone of the other chops.

Steve

Whatever you do, don't paint it pink, or any other wussy color! Red, blue, green, and black are always good ones, unless you are going custom. BTW in case anyone was wondering, WE ARE ALMOST OUT OF IRAQ!!! Should be gettin ready to head out of here soon, been packing everything up. Boy is it time to get out of here. A year out here is more than anyone should spend. Hope to see yall soon!

Kristen

Back