• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Stalls

wes79

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys try to help me out. I have a 93 xj 4.0 with about a 118k. My jeep stalls when i am going down the highway. It just dies and sometimes it comes back to life a second later and sometimes not. If it dies completely it wont start for a while, It cranks but no fire. Recently if I wait a few minutes jiggle some wires around the distributor and the box that the center wire on d cap goes to. I have replace the fuel filter recently. I think it is something electrical.

useless said:
Sounds like your Crank Position Sensor. Do a search for CPS or the like.

I'm putting $$ on CPS. Some say to clean connector and so on, I say replace it and keep the other as a last resort spare: mine did the same thing and it wasn't till I replaced it that I got rid of the problem.

replace the thing you cant go wrong..been there and done that.i went threw the same thing,not good on the beltway(washington d.c.)average speed 75-80 mph..

wes79 said:
Ok guys try to help me out. I have a 93 xj 4.0 with about a 118k. My jeep stalls when i am going down the highway. It just dies and sometimes it comes back to life a second later and sometimes not. If it dies completely it wont start for a while, It cranks but no fire. Recently if I wait a few minutes jiggle some wires around the distributor and the box that the center wire on d cap goes to. I have replace the fuel filter recently. I think it is something electrical.

btw, that box that that wire goes to is the coil.

dont jiggle that coil wire with the jeep running. if it pops off you could get a nice bone jaring shock.

check the hard vacum line that goes to the map sensor from the throttle body... it to could be cracked...

of course my money is on the cps also. :D

Back