• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Dumb Question.. Please help

RINGKONG

NAXJA Forum User
I bought my 3rd cherokee today.

I paid 200 for a 84 with Manual Transmission , 2.8L V6 and it is 4x4( ok it was.. a 4x4 :laugh3: ) It has NO RUST OR DINGS..hell the paint is even good and so is the interiour..

Here is the deal, the person who owned it before me, broke a u joint in the front driveshaft... so instead of fixing the ujoint, HE YANKED THE TRANSFERCASE and TRANSMISSION and stuck in a 2wd Tranny. I knew all this before I bought it, except I didn't know that there was a difference between a 2wd version and a 4wd version of the Manual Transmission.. stupid me.. :D I am going to put a transfer case back in but I would like to know if I can convert the 2wd tranny into a 4wd version. the dude threw the old tranny and tcase away(i asked if they were still good, he said.. yes,, I had to restrain myself).. man I want to kill him:D

I cant ID the transmission I have though.. it has ribs on both sides all around it and I think it is a 4 speed.. I haven't actually drove it, the clutch is bad. and there is no shift nob form me to see ... I believe there are 4 gates and a reverse gate to the left rear posistion. I had to remove four bolts on the cover to take out the shift lever so I could drop the tranny, it has a external slave cylinder. I cant find any stampings on it, and for all I know it could be a five speed.. does this tranny ring a bell to anyone? oh ya, the input and out put on the tranny is 21 spline.

can I remove the 2wd drive extention housing and shaft? and use it with a tcase? I have found the correct t case for it, just haven't picked it up yet from the salvage yard. the local upullits have lots of 4x4 automatics but no manuals... if they did I would just pick up both.

I know I need 2 driveshafts.. but I just want to figure out this tranny problem first.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

Most of the '84 V-6s used the same AX-4 (4-speed) and AX-5 (5-speed) that were used in the 4-cylinder models. However, AMC had some supply problems in the first couple of years, and some XJs came with T-4 or T-5 trannies. Check out this link:

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/trans/

Sounds like an AX4 to me (same as an AX5 but only 4 spd). You can use it, but you have to pull the 2WD extension housing, and replace the output shaft with a 4WD version, because it'll be too short to mate to the TC input. I just pulled an AX5 from the 'yard yesterday to mate to my TC correctly (found out there are 2 different versions of 21 spline output shafts, flush and long.....) and I have a spare 4WD AX5 (flush output) if you need it. It's going to go back to the yard for a core return if I can't find someone that needs it. Hit me backchannel if you're interested, but I might not get back to you today. I have to go to the doc to get my finger Xray'd and maybe splinted, 'cause I dropped the d@mn tranny on it pulling it out!
Jeff

Jeff in VA said:
Sounds like an AX4 to me (same as an AX5 but only 4 spd). You can use it, but you have to pull the 2WD extension housing, and replace the output shaft with a 4WD version, because it'll be too short to mate to the TC input. I just pulled an AX5 from the 'yard yesterday to mate to my TC correctly (found out there are 2 different versions of 21 spline output shafts, flush and long.....) and I have a spare 4WD AX5 (flush output) if you need it. It's going to go back to the yard for a core return if I can't find someone that needs it. Hit me backchannel if you're interested, but I might not get back to you today. I have to go to the doc to get my finger Xray'd and maybe splinted, 'cause I dropped the d@mn tranny on it pulling it out!
Jeff

that sounds like it.. AX4..

I looked at my 2wd version again.. I don't see how I could pull of the 2wd extention housing.. as the shifter is in that part of the tranny.. anyway..

what version of tc will work with the flush version of the ax5 tranny? I am interested in your tranny, but I live in Omaha.. shipping might kill me.. :D

I went to my local u pullits and dam.. EVERYTHING IS AN AUTOMATIC.. uggh.. to much linkage and stuff for me to go that route...

Thanks for you guys help.

Commache stuff are swappable with the cherokee correct?

You physically have to remove the extension housing and replace it with the rear housing of a 4WD version, along with swapping the shaft (sorry for the confusion). Turns out the AX5 I have is a YJ model, that's why it has a flush output. The holes for the TC studs are clocked about 13 degrees different also, but that's not an issue except you have to shorten one of the studs a little so you can get the nut on it...the top right one that sits behind the shifter. I wan't able to find a YJ 231 to bolt to it, so I got a different AX5 form an XJ that the TC I have will bolt to it.
Yes, MJ stuff is swappable with XJ in this regard. Even YJ/TJ stuff will work with some modification....parts is parts. I'm looking at getting $25 back on a core charge on the YJ trans, but I'd rather see it go to a good home instead of the recycle bin :nosmile: I don't know how much shipping would be, and you'd also need a YJ transfer case to bolt to it.
Jeff

Back