• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Plate Mount

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1994 XJ 4-Dr. and the rear mounting holes where the plate sits are worn out, when I pulled my plates off yesterday (I gave it a wax job) the screws kept turning as well as the whole area where they screw into. what is the fix for this problem? any suggestions will help me out.....

Jeff

It took me a while to figure you out are talking about the rear license plate mount on the hatch. I have the lower ones stripped out but my upper ones are still holding well.

The hatch it made of fiberglass. I am sure you fill in the holes doing a "fiberglass" repair and fill in the holes. Once the repair is solid then drill out the filled in holes the diameter necessary so your screws can cut into fresh fiberglass. You know like we learned in wood shop. That should take care of it.

Another thing you can do is drill out the mounting holes and insert the blue plastic anchors then insert the screws. I am sure a body man can tell you how to do this better than me but those are the two ideas I have.

I wish the rear panel had the inserts like the front license plate bracket, then you could pick up new ones at the parts store and restore it.

I just punched out the plastic inserts & put some bolts all the way through. To do this you have to remove the inner cover. I put a big washer with some silicone on it to keep water out. JIM.

Try using some dry wall anchors,the plastic push in kind.A little RTV can seal them if being water tight is a concern.
Wayne

Back