• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake Caliper loose

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
took off one of my front wheels on my '88 XJ and discovered the cause of some rattling...my brake caliper appears to be loose...it has a a little bit of play but the two bolts holding it on appear to be tight (at least by hand)...I dug through my tool box and couldn't find an allen that would fit?
are the two bolts torx? if so, what size?
are they metric or sae?
I tried to use a metric allen set...I hope the allen isn't rounded :dunno:

TIA

Gil "guess I gotta go buy some tools" Bullycatz

their star bolts/torxs- forget exactly what size, but when I bought mine, I just popped for a whole set- your problem sounds different though.

The caliper slides on those two bolts-you`ll have in and out movement on the caliper, thats how it works. Until theres pressure on the brakes, the caliper floats. What I would do, is pull it anyway. Check the actual piston for cracks on the edge, an the boot for holes, the bolts to see if their warped or rusted, and the pads just because their there. But remember, its supposed to have a small bit of play, just not excessive. Check your brake lines for cracks as well-

Back