• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popcorn smell?

staticrevolution

NAXJA Forum User
First off I did a search and connot find a thing, if anyone else does please point me in that direction. I was out running the sand dunes and the buddy I was with said somthing must be burning. We stopped and checked everything out; no leaks, hoses melting, smoke, fluids checked out, nothing seemed wrong at all. We continue through the day with no problems except a popcorn smell. The smell was apparently something inside the car because it was obvious that the engine bay or anywhere around the car did not have this smell. It was similar to an oil burning smell but it wasent, it had almost a sweet aroma. It did make both of us fairly sick feeling by the end of the day even though we tried to vent as much as possible. Exhaust seems good with no holes. My BEST guess is that when we were out there we got the tranny working to hard and it got hot enough to melt some insulation on the floor. It went mostly away on the trip back home but still lingered slightly. Anyone want to take a stab at this one?

96 cherokee
AW4/231

I had that smell and I attributed it to the muffler heating up the carpet under the passenger seat. That area gets really damn hot. Check it out after driving it for awhile.

It is kinda the smell of burnt Marshmallows right? It happened to us on the trail yesterday on XJ_Man1's 99 XJ. It is Transfer case pressure seal leaking. It is notorious for that. You should let your drivetrain cool down and not run in 4wd all the time. Use 2wd when possible.

Matt

Sounds about right. I was probably in 4WD a good chunk of the 4 hours we were acctually out on the sand. Just curious but where is the transfercase pressure seal and what makes it leak. I DIDNT check the that fluid level yesteday and will surely do that now. Why does the transfercase develope pressure? Burnt marshmellows sounds about right BUT when I stuck my nose under the rig I didnt smell anything really, even poking it around(my nose). It seemed like the smell was coming from inside? If I find the culprit I will definetly report back.

Alan

Last edited:
Can't find any acorns but did find a leaky t-case. Must not have sealed it up as well as I should have after doing that SYE. I can't remember but if I just take off the yoke and the bolts holding the tailhousing it should just come off correct? Its been a while since I did it. Since a pressure seal was also mentioned as a possible problem can anyone tell me how to test that theory. Since nothing is dripping currently I cant tell where exactly the leak is except its around the tailhousing not the center where the case seperates. I am going to go out now and test the smell of the burnt fluid.

Thanks,

Alan

Surprisingly, check the spedo cable for your leak. When they leak there, you can't find it because it seems to be coming from everywhere.

Back