• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I6 to V8

prljeep

NAXJA Forum User
I am sure this has been discussed by the search won't recognize 2 letter words!

My father in law hates my 1990 MJ I6 with the Renix fuel system (I am slowly being converted). He says we should rip it out and start all over with a V8. What type and size of V8's are people running in the XJ/MJ's (cost estimate for new vs. rebuilt??). He thought a Ford engine might be an easier fit with the 90 I6...

Also- we are torn between carb and fuel injection. Carb- easier to work on, but we are concerned with hill climbing and the engine stalling at a certain degree. Any one had this problem?

TIA
PRL

there has been quite a bit written about this topic. Check around some of the other forums like POR maybe JU and of course NAXJA. The common swaps are the Ford 5.0 , LT1 and now the LS1 which has the advantage of being aluminum block. I'm building a XJ based (well, sort of) rock crawler with an LS1. There are lots of after market stuff like new wiring etc. out there. If you go with GM then a 700R4 tranny is the easiest to adapt, particularly if it came out of a 4x4 truck. The bolt pattern is easier to adapt to. However,Advanced Adapters can do just about any adaptation. Good luck. Oh, Greg Gavel has done this swap. He is C-ROK. nice guy. Always answered my ??s.

Thanks Danno!

In addition- what year did jeep start using full injection in their 6's. Also, is there any beneift to a jeep/amc 8 cylinder?

Just wondering why he hates the renix so much/ most people i know including my self thatwork on diffrent makes and such realy like the renix because of its adaptiblity to changes and its easy to work with exculding the fact the a sacner for it iswell in to 4 digit prices.

REDXJ4FUN said:
Just wondering why he hates the renix so much/ most people i know including my self thatwork on diffrent makes and such realy like the renix because of its adaptiblity to changes and its easy to work with exculding the fact the a sacner for it iswell in to 4 digit prices.
I guess maybe we are unaware of the adaptability to change- (can you provide some examples). You know the old timers- especially my father in law-they do not like "computers" controlling everything.

you can basically add up to a full liter of displacement, and the Renix ECU will run it just fine with bigger injectors and you can fine tune it by adding a potentiometer to the input voltage of the MAP sensor.

350 w/T350 and Np242

dist_firewall.jpg

dist_firewall2.jpg

newcoresupport2.jpg

small%20block.jpg

small%20block2.jpg

I'm doing the AMC 304 swap right now. The AMC 290, 304, 343, 360, and I believe 401 all have the same block bolt patern as the 4.0L so that means you can use the AW-4 and NP-231 combo without any expensive adapters. I was considering a Ford 302 untill I found out the price of the propper adapters. Not to mention your only other option would be to swap both tranny and transfer case. Way to much hassel unless you already the donor parts lying around. I'm taking pics this morning and should have them posted this week sometime. Stick with AMC if you can.

Back