• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you guys think about my stroker recepie

rav

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys;
after all the research i have come up with the following recepie for my 4.6 stroker:-
AMC 258 Crank part # 3235477
AMC 258 rods
Block bored 0.030 over
Head shaved 0.010
Sealed power H02CP 0.030 duroshield skirt coated pistons
23cc dish on the pistons
Mopar performance head gasket
Brass freeze plugs
Crane 753095 camshaft and lifters
Mopar performance springs & retainers
Stock Oil pump
Stock timing gear
Flowmetrics 68 mm TB
Bored intake manifold to match the TB and the spacer
Banks header
Ford 24LB injectors
ported head

Any suggestions or room for improvent?, any input will be appreciated.What will be my compression and HP estimate?

Thanks in advance;
Ravi

Are you in possesion of the stroker spreadsheet originally developed by greg Friedmann?

This is a must for figuring quench, compression and deck clearance.

It can be found on Madxj.com

CRASH

No mention of budget, so here goes:

4.0 rods (instead of the 258) w. forged custom pistons. I think this is a better recipe for a stroker, but requires a bigger chunk of the wallet.

Big valve heads. Ported, polished, all the good stuff. Hell, even get MOPAR roller rockers!!

If you're going with the Flometrics 68mm TB, you could go with 26 0r 29 lb. injectors and an adjustable MAP. For good measure throw in a '99+ manifold.

That's my dream motor!! :)

CRASH said:
Are you in possesion of the stroker spreadsheet originally developed by greg Friedmann?

This is a must for figuring quench, compression and deck clearance.

It can be found on Madxj.com

CRASH
yes just got it, its very useful. This is for a 99 motor which i have with the newer intake, being a student budget is an issue, also i have heard a lot about the piston slap issues with guys running forged pistons and not to mention diesel like sound, Also i can get the pistons and the 258 rods for less then half the price of the forged pistons. As far as the big valve head goes, i am not yet sold to not doing it, but have heard about shrouding problems with the bigger valves, but i will be thinking about it. Also speaking to guys who had 30LB injectors has convinced me not to use them.

keep the inputs coming, really appreciate it. There is a set of 24lb injectors being sold on the for sale forum here and JU, i bought mine from the same guy.

Thanks;
ravi

I'm using forged Eagle 4.0 rods and forged pistons.

Forged stuff is not a problem as long as the motor is bored and honed correctly to accept the pistons. They definately expand more than a cast or hypereutectic piston, so any piston noise is only going to occur at low RPM's. Once they warm up, they are fine, and most importantly, NOS ready. :D

CRASH

CRASH said:
I'm using forged Eagle 4.0 rods and forged pistons.

Forged stuff is not a problem as long as the motor is bored and honed correctly to accept the pistons. They definately expand more than a cast or hypereutectic piston, so any piston noise is only going to occur at low RPM's. Once they warm up, they are fine, and most importantly, NOS ready. :D

CRASH
wanted to follow your footsteps but cant get hold of xjjunkie, can you dig out his phone #. whats the specs on your pistons, did you get them already. having forged rods and pistons will be great as i might add a supercharger, when i get a job.

Thanks;
ravi

Rather than shave the head, deck the block. The reduction in quench distance will radically help you with ping. I'm running my 4.7L stroker with .020 off the block and get no ping on regular gas.

old_man said:
Rather than shave the head, deck the block. The reduction in quench distance will radically help you with ping. I'm running my 4.7L stroker with .020 off the block and get no ping on regular gas.

Thats cool, will do, BTW what are the specs on your 4.7, i am always open for suggestions.

Thanks in advance;
ravi

rav said:
wanted to follow your footsteps but cant get hold of xjjunkie, can you dig out his phone #. whats the specs on your pistons, did you get them already. having forged rods and pistons will be great as i might add a supercharger, when i get a job.

Thanks;
ravi

Yes. Scot is his name, and he is at American Speed Center. 717-848-6272.

$745 for the pistons, Eagle forged rods, rings, piston pins, and a couple of optional piston items, shipped to my house..

Agree with Old Man, I'm taking .010 off of the head, .020 off of the block, and using 28 cc dish pistons. This brings the quench to .0425 with a standard .053 head gasket.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Yes. Scot is his name, and he is at American Speed Center. 717-848-6272.

$745 for the pistons, Eagle forged rods, rings, piston pins, and a couple of optional piston items, shipped to my house..

Agree with Old Man, I'm taking .010 off of the head, .020 off of the block, and using 28 cc dish pistons. This brings the quench to .0425 with a standard .053 head gasket.

CRASH
thanks a lot, i will call scot right now.

ravi

rav said:
thanks a lot, i will call scot right now.

ravi
My rods are on their way thanks CRASH!!!!

ravi

I think it'd be wise to cc the heads before you deck anything. You don't want your compression ratio too high- especially if you're at sea level & want to run pump gas. That'll also help you decide what dish to run on the pistons. Keep in mind that if you run 4.0 rods, a stock 258 piston will stick up out of the block. With 258 rods, they'll be "in the hole". You'll need pistons with a different wrist pin location. Contact Jake @ http://www.jakesracingengines.com/ for more info. Tell him I sent ya

P.S.- He has the numbers worked out to punch the 4.0 all the way out to 5 liters

Last edited:
MistWolf said:
I think it'd be wise to cc the heads before you deck anything. You don't want your compression ratio too high- especially if you're at sea level & want to run pump gas. That'll also help you decide what dish to run on the pistons. Keep in mind that if you run 4.0 rods, a stock 258 piston will stick up out of the block. With 258 rods, they'll be "in the hole". You'll need pistons with a different wrist pin location. Contact Jake @ http://www.jakesracingengines.com/ for more info. Tell him I sent ya

P.S.- He has the numbers worked out to punch the 4.0 all the way out to 5 liters
Appreciate your rely, now that i have my eagle 4.0 forged rods on their way, i am going with venolia forged pistons(just copying Crash's stroker)

Thanks;
ravi

28cc of dish and 1.370 pin height will be perfect for a .0425 quench and a 9.2 to 1 compression.

Get the Venolia's from Scot as well.

CRASH

CRASH said:
28cc of dish and 1.370 pin height will be perfect for a .0425 quench and a 9.2 to 1 compression.

Get the Venolia's from Scot as well.

CRASH
Will do, just need to put the money toghether, i really apprecaite your help.

Thanks a lot;
ravi

MistWolf said:
Remember that there are something like 3 different head chamber sizes
Can you please amplify, this is getting very confusing now.

Thanks;
ravi

You have to cc the chambers of the head you plan to use to find out what size they are. If I recall rightly the chambers of your head could one of three different sizes. The only way to tell is to cc them. I don't remember the right method for doing so. If you don't pay attention to the small details in this type of work, you'll run into problems. For example, a friend built an experimental "Budget Stroker" using factory parts and a decked block. Later, when he computed his cr it came out to 10.5:1. Since it was a Renix system the knock sensor retarded the timing to eliminate pinging. It ran stronger than stock, but not as strong as it would have if he used custom pistons to reduce the cr and maintain correct quench

MistWolf said:
Remember that there are something like 3 different head chamber sizes

Where did you hear that? AFAIK, all the 4.0 heads have chambers in the 56-58cc range. I agree about cc'ing everything so that you know exactly what CR your engine has. There's enough variation in manufacturing tolerances to cause a variance in CR of 0.2-0.3 between engines build to the so-called "same spec".

Back